UKC

Relocating to Salzburg!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 67hours 23 Jul 2017
Hello,

My girlfriend and I are relocating to Salzburg at the end of September as I've managed to get a job working there. Very much a lifestyle move, what with it being in the middle of the Alps and all...

Wondered if anyone on here lived or worked in Salzburg and had any wisdom about the place they might like to share!

Thanks,

George
 olddirtydoggy 23 Jul 2017
In reply to 67hours:

Just come back from Salzburg 2 weeks back. The rock climbing is pretty good just south of the old town. There's some small sport climbing crags in the old town but 40 mins south and you're in the Berchtesgaden alps with some great mountaineering routes and solid via ferrata. It's a playground.
estivoautumnal 23 Jul 2017
In reply to 67hours:

Open air concerts in the square are fantastic. If you like classical music. Probably the highlight of the city. Both live and recorded.

It's a great city to cycle around. Good cycle paths in the city and great paths out to the hills for weekends.

As for everything else...Best to discover it yourself. It has a lot to offer.
 chris fox 24 Jul 2017
In reply to 67hours:

I lived in Salzburg for a year back in 2003, i was working for Redbull and it's a fantastic city. Only about 250,000-300,000 people. Great infrastructure, busses run on electric overhead cables (bit like trams). Roads are much better than over here, lots to do. Climbing wise i didn't do a huge amount as through the winter i skied or just did some solo ice climbing through the glaciers on Stubai.

There are a few outdoor shops - Intersport is the biggest and had a good selection of climbing gear. I tried to learn German but all they wanted to do was reply in English !!!! I made lots of local friends too as they are super friendly.

Make sure you pop into the Redbull hangar at the airport, it's free to wander round and see his aeroplanes (they were the ones i was part of a team rebuilding and maintaining) also located there are the racing cars.

You'll love the place, nightlife is vibrant, lots happening, lots of bars, pubs and cafe's and virtually zero trouble (the Austrian police don't mess about).

Have fun, I loved my year there. Would have stayed longer but i emigrated to Oz
OP 67hours 24 Jul 2017
In reply to chris fox:

Thanks all. Really great to hear your positive experiences. Concerts, infrastructure and locals sounds really good. Luckily I'll be in an English-speaking company but have started on the german Duolingo already!

It's a design consultancy so they do get involved with Redbull down the road I believe.

I've also just discovered that Austrian's pay 14 months of salary - excellent!
 tjekel 25 Jul 2017
In reply to 67hours:
We do not only pay 14 salaries, we also have a social and health insurance system to speak of. Don't tell the UK Brexit refugees.

By the way, salaries 13&14 also have minimal tax.
Post edited at 06:24
 MischaHY 25 Jul 2017
In reply to 67hours:

> Luckily I'll be in an English-speaking company but have started on the german Duolingo already!

Good luck, start with 50xp as a base for a day and work from there! I had a period of three months after moving to Tubingen where I averaged something like 100-200xp a day.

Good luck getting anyone to speak German to you though

In reply to chris fox:

> I tried to learn German but all they wanted to do was reply in English !!!!

I put up with this at work for a full month before I started replying 'Englisch? Nein, kein Englisch bitte.' every time someone tried to reply in English. Worked excellently!
OP 67hours 25 Jul 2017
In reply to MischaHY:

100-200xp is impressive!

I've been learning Russian since the start of the year and only managed about 20xp/day at most, although got up to continuous runs of 60-70days. However, I suspect German should be much easier.

Interesting that you suggest I'll be forcing people to speak English to me - the only person I met en route to the interview who wasn't an employee of the company (taxi driver) didn't speak a word! Struggled to direct him with just a "links" and "recht" from Year 8 german.
OP 67hours 25 Jul 2017
In reply to tjekel:

Yes tjekel - and the bank holidays look good too !
 MischaHY 25 Jul 2017
In reply to 67hours:

Austria may vary as my experience is in Germany, but generally anyone in the service industry speaks some level of English.

Top tip is to laugh at yourself and enjoy the struggle rather than looking like you're unhappy about it, then people will happily be patient and let you take your time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...