UKC

Sign language.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AP Melbourne 24 Jul 2017
One of by besties intends to have his young daughter schooled in sign language [she's not hard of hearing].
He suggested it was 'a universal language' but is it? Or is it a signed version of English?

'Course I can easily Google it but thought I'd throw it out to the intelligentsia on here.
Thanks,
AP.
Bellie 24 Jul 2017
In reply to AP Melbourne:

Its called BSL (British Sign Language), variations throughout the world in 'English' speaking countries.

I'm not sure what the benefit would be unless she intends to communicate with deaf people.
 Route Adjuster 24 Jul 2017

It isn't a universal language, there are even variations regionally within BSL. A useful skill to have though as it is a language a method of communication in its own right.
 Tall Clare 24 Jul 2017
In reply to Bellie:

I'm doing some work with a music charity who, amongst other things, do 'singing and signing' - getting deaf children singing and teaching non-deaf children sign language. One argument for non hearing-impaired children learning sign language is that it can be used to communicate in all sorts of situations, including when people can't speak. I could well be wrong on this point but I'm sure I recently heard something about introducing BSL lessons in Scottish schools (whether primary or secondary, I can't recall).
 Tall Clare 24 Jul 2017

Sign-supported English is different to BSL - SSE is more of a direct translation, whereas BSL has a different sentence structure and doesn't use every word that speech or written English might. Deaf children's reading age is often lower than for non hearing-impaired children, partly because of this.
 Dave B 24 Jul 2017

American sign us very different to British sign.

Makaton is often used with persons with severe learning impairment.

Young children, pre speech are sometimes taught a simplified Makaton.

Not universal at all...

Bellie 24 Jul 2017

But the key question to ask is, what do they mean by universal language. Does the person think that it can be used for example in a situation if they don't speak french?. Given the small amount of people who do sign its a long shot, even though it is a useful skill to learn and probably much easier to absorb at an early age.

Many hearing people do go to BSL language classes, and it can be good to have, especially if you do end up being able to use it to help communicate at some stage.

Interestingly, the schools I dealt with concentrated on lip reading more for the deaf and hearing impaired kids as they would be communicating more with people without a hearing impairment in life, and thus not have the sign language skills.

krikoman 24 Jul 2017
Esperanto ?

Or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blissymbols
Post edited at 12:14
OP AP Melbourne 25 Jul 2017
In reply to krikoman:

Thanks all,
I'll relay your collective advice.
Cheers,
AP.
 paddymct 25 Jul 2017

I very rarely post on here so thanks for asking something I can weigh in on.

My Grandad is deaf and my dad taught me to sign when I was about 12. I've since been teaching myself and the missus , neither of us are very good but its came in useful more than once. Communicating on a plane when she was stood near the front waiting for the bathroom, 18m underwater while diving when the diving hand signals weren't enough. It is well worth learning even to a rudimentary level.

As most people have said it is a British language and there is regional variations on signs , almost like accents. Indeed some countries only use one hand for sign language, I'm looking at you America its just weird stop.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...