UKC

Skye in September - Snow and Ice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Not posted on here for ages but I have a question for anyone with experience of Skye. I'm heading up there in mid Sept. Likely to be walking with a group of mixed ability and keen to undertake some high level ridge walks. Never been to Skye in my life so wondered if the weather is likely to require axe and walking crampons at that time of year.

Any top tips?
In reply to Johnny_Grunwald:

Never say never, but I would be gobsmacked. If there was snow - an outside chance I guess - then it'd be wet and probably melty... not the sort that's going to require axe and crampons.

... cue the earliest cold snap in living memory

Snow on a Scottish Island in September? Absolutely no chance! This should be quite a useful link for you though:

http://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/United-Kingdom/Highland/Isle-of-Skye/cl...
 wercat 24 Jul 2017
I've experienced ankle deep snow on the Cuillin a day or two after the autumnal equinox - the snow fell for 2 or 3 hours, but in the afternoon I descended into su and summer heat
Post edited at 15:31

Thanks all. It was probably a silly question but there are some weird little weather anomalies up in them Scottish parts
 atrendall 25 Jul 2017

Live in Sconser on Skye so if you get in touch nearer the time only too happy to let you know the conditions etc.
In reply to atrendall:

Thanks for the offer. I might drop you a line nearer the time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...