UKC

Sit start rules for shorties

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 annak 24 Jul 2017
So as far as I know, the rules for a sit-start boulder problem are:
- feet on the rock
- hands on the starting holds
- bum on the ground

Now I'm not so tall, and there are lots of problems near me where I physically cannot have hands on holds and bum on ground at the same time, it's either/or. My only two solutions that I can think of are to fold my boulder pad double and sit on that, or hang so that my bum is as close to the ground as possible. Or not climb it, I guess.

What do other folk do/think?
 douwe 24 Jul 2017
In reply to annak:
I think folding or stacking pads is the usual solution.
 Fraser 24 Jul 2017
In reply to douwe:

Agreed. Or a dyno sit-start perhaps?! Similarly I have trouble with some s/s problems if it's been set by a shortie. Sometimes I can't become sufficiently bunched to fit in the theoretical space available!
 snoop6060 24 Jul 2017
In reply to annak:

I frequently use my (lack of) height as an excuse to cheat as much as possible. My rules are simple, if my mate can reach some holds that I cannot I will stack as many pads and/or stones as needed to reach the same holds. Sit down or stand up, same rules apply.
 Brumbler 24 Jul 2017
In reply to annak:

A pad stack is the best way forwards if you really can't reach, crouching down your muscles are still quite engaged which can make start moves a lot easier. Sitting on a folded or stacked pad just puts you in the same place as someone taller.
OP annak 24 Jul 2017
In reply to annak:

Excellent, thank you all for the input! I shall continue to start my boulders sitting on a pile of mattresses like the princess and the pea
In reply to annak:

Similarly, where sit starts are too bunched for my long legs, I hire a team of navvies to dig a trench and expose new, lower footholds.
 Chris Harris 24 Jul 2017
In reply to annak:

You could try:

Put hands on start holds.

Put feet on start holds.

Lower till arms straight & arse as close to ground as it will go, regardless of mats.

Begin.
Andrew Kin 25 Jul 2017
In reply to Chris Harris:

Surely Chris has it. Hands on hand holds, feet on start holds then move off. The fact that you are vertically challeneged is one of your benefits over the long legged climbers in this situation. Is the ethos of a sit start that the challenge is in the sit or that its a low down start? Never seen anyone complain otherwise
OP annak 25 Jul 2017
In reply to Thelittlesthobo:

I actually think it makes it easier to start from a hanging position, the hardest bit of a sitstart is usually getting your bum off the ground. After that your body tension kicks in. So I feel like hanging is even cheatier than double pad.

Otherwise yes, being short is ace for sitstarts and that's why I like them
 joshtee25 25 Jul 2017
In reply to Brumbler:

OK, but I don't ask tall climbers to climb with bent arms so they can't reach further holds as easily... Why should shorties have to change how they climb to preserve the ego of the lanks?
 John Kettle 29 Jul 2017
In reply to Chris Harris:
What you've described is essentially pulling on midway through the first move, lowering yourself, then making the first move again. It simply isn't possible on a sitter with sloping, side pulling or other position-dependent start holds. Starting directly beneath the holds is essential, and it can mean folding/stacking pads if you're a shortie, or throwing a strop and trying another problem (my preferred choice).
 Chris the Tall 29 Jul 2017
In reply to joshtee25:
I've always been convinced that the concept of a sit start was invented by a short arse as revenge for those occasions when a tall person outreachs the problem. Anyone who thinks long legs helps with sit starts is deluded
Post edited at 22:07
 UKB Shark 30 Jul 2017
One foot on rock, other foot crossed under arse for vital extra inches. I think this might be the fabled 'Bristol start'.

Some anti-kyphotic stretching worth considering though two mats does the job.
 Jon Stewart 30 Jul 2017
In reply to annak:

If the first half-move of a morpho sit start is the crux (or even a slightly important part) of the problem, you are climbing something totally pointless. There has to be something better to do!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...