UKC

Climbing Near Antibes/Nice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 langdalec 25 Jul 2017
Hello, latched onto cheap flights and my parents getting an apartment in Antibes for a week, looking for advice on any easy accessible sport in the area. I have the rockfax guidebook for the area already but thought I would ask in case there are any other noteworthy crags around in the area, happy to go public transport for up to an hour

Cheers all, it's not the easiest place to go accessible climbing but everything was booked and flights were cheap so it would be a bonus if I could go climbing.
 Fraser 25 Jul 2017
In reply to calum404:
My advice is forget it. I'm just outside Nice at the moment and it's baking hot, way too hot to consider climbing other than very early morning or late at night. It was 35° here yesterday.

Edit: the Canadair water bomber planes were overhead all yesterday afternoon as there are a number of forest fires in the area. IT'S HOT.
Post edited at 11:11
OP langdalec 25 Jul 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Hi Fraser, sorry forgot to mention not going until September!
 Fraser 25 Jul 2017
In reply to calum404:

In that case you can find cooler, north-facing venues, but it'll still be very hot. Have been here in Oct, Nov and even Jan and it's often still very warm, but it might be doable for you in Sept.

The best 'local' venue at altitude I've been to is Gréolieres, (not in the Rockfax guide) which has some easier stuff and should be a bit cooler. But it's still south facing and not the easiest of places to reach by PT.

La Colle Sur Loup can be shady and is reachable as is St Jeannet, but both can be very polished, particularly on the easier routes. Think there is some dws near Antibes - Coco beach or something like that - but have never tried it so can't comment. You might try posting on the camp2camp forum for some decent local knowledge.
 Vigier 25 Jul 2017
In reply to calum404:

La Trinite on outskirts of Nice would be a good bet:shady and some good lines to go at. Not so easy to get there by public transport from Antibes , depends how desperate you are!

There is bouldering on Cap d'Antibes:

http://www.madlab.it/grimperaucap/index.html

Coco beach bouldering is in Nice itself.

PS I will be in Nice in early September, so, if you are around then, I would be happy to meet up and belay you if you don't mind being out with an old git! I have a car in Nice that could make things easier for you.
 Fraser 25 Jul 2017
In reply to Vigier:

Good call on La Trinité, I'd forgotten about that crag.
OP langdalec 25 Jul 2017
Cheers guys, will look into transport to the areas, off the back of finishing a stressful MSc degree I'm happy just enjoying the sun but would be shame if there was any climbing on offer. Any other outdoorsy non-climbing (or non-outdoorsy) recommendations in the area?

Cheers!
OP langdalec 25 Jul 2017
In reply to Fraser:

I addition, I just googled what a Canadair water bomber looks like and it looks awesome
 Fraser 25 Jul 2017
In reply to calum404:

Not that I've done it here but the wind surfing looks pretty decent & is popular. Also the cycling of course! Canyoning perhaps?

Canadairs: yep, they're impressive. I was wondering how they did the actual scooping part and found a good YouTube vid showing the method: 6000 litres scooped up in 12 seconds via a couple of very small ports, then 'foaming' it and dropping it over a football pitch sized area.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...