UKC

Finger pain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hannahmach 25 Jul 2017
I've been climbing indoors for a couple of years, and had a few days on real rock. Really enjoying it, despite only having started in my fifties. My overall fitness has improved, and I'm moving through the grades. But despite always warming up and stretching afterwards, the joints of my fingers hurt all the time. Banging them on anything causes considerable pain, and they are fairly swollen. Can anybody suggest some better exercises to prevent this, or is it a consequence of taking upclimbing at a silly age?
 alx 25 Jul 2017
In reply to Hannahmach:

You should try icing your hands after climbing as a short term remedy, or have a friend/partner take the bones either side of the painful joint and gently pulse the joint apart which can bring relief. For a longer term solution you should look to identify the root cause which could lie in how you use your body when climbing. Poor technique , weak core, arms and shoulders and poor endurance may put an over reliance on your grip. Climbing or hold style set at your local wall may also be a factor.

Worse case voltarol 12hour gel is sheer magic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...