UKC

INTERVIEW: Bob Shepton - Addicted to Adventure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 26 Jul 2017
Bob Shepton on watch, 3 kbReverend Bob Shepton is not your average 82 year-old. He has filled his long and interesting life with climbing, sailing, church ministerial duties, youth work and military service in the Royal Marines. Since retiring, Bob 'left the pulpit for the cockpit,' not to live a life of leisure and luxury on a yacht, but rather to make lively sailing and climbing trips to Greenland with renowned Belgian/American climbing quartet, the 'Wild Bunch' - Nico and Olivier Favresse, Sean Villanueva O'Driscoll and Ben Ditto - which have earned Bob legendary status thanks to the critically acclaimed films of their antics: Vertical Sailing Greenland and Adventures of the Dodo's Delight. He's no leisure sailor, and don't even make mention of a marina...

Read more
 planetmarshall 26 Jul 2017
In reply to UKC Articles:

That damn song is in my head again now...
 Pina 26 Jul 2017

Great article!
 Rob Morgan 26 Jul 2017

What a great read, thanks.

I always assumed Portland was just a sport climbing place. Does anyone know the history of how it went from trad to sport?
 Neil Henson 26 Jul 2017
Great article - his book is worth a read too.

The photo caption on the 6th photo down is a bit misleading though. Pretty sure that is Weymouth Harbour in the photo, rather than Portland Maine. They sailed to Portland Maine from Weymouth / Portland UK.
 JR_NL 26 Jul 2017

Met him last year during the European Outdoor Film Tour, great guy and the book is worth a read!
 Mark Collins 26 Jul 2017
In reply to Neil Henson:

> Pretty sure that is Weymouth Harbour in the photo, rather than Portland Maine.

Agree Neil, can spot a couple of old Volvo's and other cars with UK style license plates in the background.

Thanks UKC for this article.

MischaHY 26 Jul 2017

What a legend. An excellent read!
 Mick Ward 26 Jul 2017
In reply to Rob Morgan:

> What a great read, thanks.

Agree, fantastic read. Bob Shepton epitomises the spirit of adventure. Long may he continue!

> I always assumed Portland was just a sport climbing place. Does anyone know the history of how it went from trad to sport?

http://portland-climbing.co.uk/blog/history/steel-in-the-soul.php

Mick
 Greenbanks 26 Jul 2017

Excellent. 82? Makes me feel ashamed! The book is on my list.
 steve taylor 26 Jul 2017

Really good article Nat.

Bob's book, Addicted to Adventure, is an excellent read - I've never read such downplayed drama before . Most of the situations he describes would have me crouched in a corner whimpering for my mum!!!

Removed User 26 Jul 2017

Brilliant.
 Solaris 26 Jul 2017

Great article, and a nice tribute to understated, muscular Christianity. Thought it went out with the Victorians!

Is the photo of the Barre des Ecrins back to front - Violettes glacier should be on the left of the pic, shouldn't it?
 colin8ll 27 Jul 2017

Very nice article. It would be great if you could provide the audio recording too - I'd love to have heard him tell the story.
 AP Melbourne 27 Jul 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed that but the good Rev. didn't mention Jerry Moffatt was one of his students at St. Davids College.
In reply to steve taylor:

If you think reading about it is scary, you want to watch him darting about on the side deck of the Dodo in force 7/8 waves; getting blasted with water and thrown around but somehow still holding on and not going overboard.

Meanwhile, we were safely leashed and more scared for Bob than he was for himself!
 SuperLee1985 27 Jul 2017

Absolute Legend!
 JuneBob 27 Jul 2017
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:
> If you think reading about it is scary, you want to watch him darting about on the side deck of the Dodo in force 7/8 waves; getting blasted with water and thrown around but somehow still holding on and not going overboard.

> Meanwhile, we were safely leashed and more scared for Bob than he was for himself!

Hehe, yup, I had the same experience when we sailed to the Azores; although he did lose a shoe overboard on one of his sorties round the boat.

Neil Henson 27 Jul 2017
In reply to Mark Collins:

I think I even recognise one of the boats in the background.
 Mark Collins 27 Jul 2017
In reply to Neil Henson:

> I think I even recognise one of the boats in the background.

Can't help you on that front I'm afraid.
 dan wisey 27 Jul 2017

Another thumbs up for the book, I thoroughly enjoyed it!
 SteveSBlake 28 Jul 2017

A fantastic article, chapeau Capt'n Shepton! He's having quite the life....... Somebody mentioned that damn song, now it's back!

Steve
Graeme (Geordie) Taylor 28 Jul 2017

A great man. I had the privilege of working as a fellow ski-instructor with Bob and watched him regaling a group of young soldiers with parables of life, in his Padre's 15 mins, at the end of a ski day. They we're captivated. I too was inspired. God Speed Bob. Slanthe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...