UKC

Vanoise likely walking conditions in August

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robhorton 26 Jul 2017
Hi,

We're planning to do a hut to hut walk in The Vanoise in late August (route is Pralongan -> Col de Vanoise -> Arpont -> Dent Parrachée -> Orgère -> Peclet-Polset -> Pralongan). When we booked I'd assumed it would be summer walking with the snow long gone but looking at some of the refuges' posts on facebook there seems to be a fair bit of snow about (although they are a few weeks old). Also, the current forecast gives the rain/snow transition as about 2500m which would imply a bit of fresh snow on the higher passes isn't out of the question. We're wondering whether we ought to be taking crampons / suitable boots / ice axes..? We obviously don't want to carry them round all week if we won't use them but on the other hand don't want to have to turn back because we don't have them. Any advice would be really appreciated!

I'd also appreciate any general advice on the range of clothing to take. I've done some hut to hut ski touring so have some idea but it would be good to know what people tend to take in the summer.

Thanks!
Rob
In reply to robhorton:

are you doing the dent parrachee peak? 2 years ago, the couloir leading up to the ridge was very horrible - 50 degree extremely unstable scree which was almost impossible not to knock down on anyone below. As it is quite long the stones pick up a lot of speed over a few hundred metres, making it dangerous. I couldn't believe that it was being guided. Not one I'd want to repeat in a hurry.
 Pinch'a'salt 26 Jul 2017
In reply to robhorton:

I woudn't dream of taking crampons and axe in August (or September) unless as per the post above you are heading to the summit of the Parrachée as opposed to the refuge.

Temps have been really warm the last few weeks (I live 20 mins from Pralognan) - into the 30s at 850m during the afternoons - there was a dusting down to about 2700m one night a couple of weeks back but I certainly wouldn't expect any serious amounts of snow. August is usually very warm too...

Col de Chaviere, Col de la Masse etc only hit about 2700ish, so unless you are heading up onto the Glaciers de la Vanoise you shouldn't need any spiky kit.
 nathan79 27 Jul 2017
In reply to robhorton:

Did the Vanoise a couple of years back, didn't go the Dent Parrechée option. The only snow we encountered was a few large patches to cross approaching Col de Chaviere. A little Skype but it's such a well trodden route it was really no bother.

Clothing-wise I took 2 tops, 1 pair shorts, 1 pair trousers, 2 pairs boxers, 2 or 3 pairs of socks. I took my normal summer boots and a pair of trail shoes, but after the first day the boots stayed strapped to my bag. Worth a warm layer, gloves and hat and early rises to catch the sun coming up.

If you want any info on the huts I'm happy to provide it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...