UKC

Android or iPhone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 radddogg 31 Jul 2017

Following another thread regarding Rockfax being unavailable on Android I thought it would be interesting to see what the spread is amongst climbers. So please vote for what OS your phone runs on using the Like button for Android (because Android's logo is green) and Dislike for iPhone (for no particular reason)*

If you have an old Nokia please don't regail us with tales about how they are better than smartphones.

*because iPhone's are the work of Satan
Post edited at 18:01
 Stichtplate 31 Jul 2017
In reply to radddogg:

It may be the work of Satan , but the 7 is water resistant and has a cracking camera. Maybe wait until later in the year if you're going to swap as the 8 is coming out so the 7's price will drop.
 AndyC 31 Jul 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Microsoft's Windows Phone is better than either of those. Unfortunately it never achieved take-off speed. Nevertheless, my 4 year old HTC 8X is still more stable and lasts longer between charges than the latest Android and Apple offerings used by my colleagues. I think it also has a much nicer user interface!
 Dauphin 31 Jul 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Use both. Very little between them at the top end. Mid range android in terms of functionality vfm ratio is the way to go. IOS looks better, runs slicker,most probably better security, longer support or indeed any OS updates compared to some android manufacturers but you pay through the nose for it.

D
 ablackett 31 Jul 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Everytime one of my friends is grumbling about something being wrong with their (usually android) phone, I tell them that I know how to fix it, buy an iphone. They never laugh. Sad really.
 wbo 31 Jul 2017
In reply to radddogg: Everytime one of my friends is grumbling about something being wrong with their iphone, I tell them that I know how to fix it, buy a mid range android phone. They never laugh. Sad really.

wilkie14c 31 Jul 2017
In reply to wbo:

so on very rare occasions then??

the future isn't bright for iphone users however. A very common fault with iphones going back to gen 3 was the home button wearing out. It was always an easy and cheap fix but the iphone 7 onwards has a home button that carries a tiny chip and it is coded to the phones cpu id. Aftermarket home buttons will not work and the only solution is the apple store.
Folk still use old iphones and the iphone 4 is still a common sight. This robustness isn't good for Apple hence this home button thing and controlling the longevity of future phones. Tw*ts.
 WaterMonkey 31 Jul 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

The iPhone 7 home button isn't a physical button so can't wear out like the old ones.
 wilkie14c 31 Jul 2017
In reply to WaterMonkey:

it does develop faults however even though there's no clicky clicky thing
Pan Ron 31 Jul 2017
In reply to radddogg:

I switched from iOS to Android primarily for the purpose of outdoor/navigation ease.

It has a simpler interface for accessing files across applications and moving files around (GPS tracks, map tiles, etc). Also the Android interface allows me to set up multiple pages with certain apps replicated across them - essentially meaning I can have a page for X and another page for Y with some apps appearing on both (its a small thing, but makes usability easier in my opinion).

In short, I find iOS great in an urban, cloud-oriented, always available wifi/4g environment. In the outdoors, where a mobile phone might double as a mini and autonomous computer, Android has always felt better to me.

Of course all will work, so its probably minor advantages in each arena.
 wbo 31 Jul 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

> so on very rare occasions then

> Folk still use old iphones and the iphone 4 is still a common sight. This robustness isn't good for Apple hence this home button thing and controlling the longevity of future phones. Tw*ts.

More often than you'd like/think. Mixture of 6,5 and even ye olde 4. Complaints of instability as well as the expected short battery life. I don't think they're rubbish, but they aren't obviously better/worth the money.
As an aside my iPad mini has also become annoyingly unstable with a lot of webpages my phone or pc can handle after the latest is upgrade. A replacement isn't obvious yet
 wilkie14c 31 Jul 2017
In reply to wbo:

i've repaired hundreds of iphones and like anything else i suppose, there are some that just keep having problem after problem and others (the majority i guess) are just fine. i suspect problems within RAM but of course, will never know for sure. You are right about batteries though!
 Dax H 31 Jul 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

My Samsung s5 (up to s8 now) is waterproof to 2 mts and has a cracking camera, my Sony phone before that was the same.
 Stichtplate 31 Jul 2017
In reply to Dax H:

> My Samsung s5 (up to s8 now) is waterproof to 2 mts and has a cracking camera, my Sony phone before that was the same.

I can't make a valid comparison. The Mrs started out as a graphic designer, so the house is full of over priced apple kit and I'm too lazy to learn another OS.
 Shani 31 Jul 2017
In reply to AndyC:

> Microsoft's Windows Phone is better than either of those. Unfortunately it never achieved take-off speed.

Remember kids, just say "No".
 bouldery bits 31 Jul 2017
In reply to radddogg:

I use android cos #budgetconstraints
In reply to David Martin:

iOS is more like an appliance.

Android is more like a computer.

Although Google seem to be driving android towards the 'Nanny Jobs knows best' approach, e.g. the need to 'bind' the SD card to the platform in order to move apps to it, which stops the SD card being available for storing files. I can cope with apps becoming unavailable if I remove the SD card; just let me manage that.

Don't know if they've sorted this stupidity out in android beyond 6.
In reply to Shani:

> Remember kids, just say "No".

I think that's what app designers said in response to Microsoft's repeated re-jigging of their approach to windows phone and the API...
 Dax H 01 Aug 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

That is a stupid idea but at least Android phones have expandable memory via cards.
OP radddogg 01 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

So looking at the current votes it's strange that Rockfax chose iOS to launch their app on.
 Neil Williams 01 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

There are a lot more Android phones out there, but a lot of them are budget end and often not used for apps etc.

iOS users are better adopters of apps I believe.

As to the original question, use both, see what you like and dislike, check your budget, and buy accordingly.
In reply to wilkie14c:

> so on very rare occasions then??

> the future isn't bright for iphone users however. A very common fault with iphones going back to gen 3 was the home button wearing out. It was always an easy and cheap fix but the iphone 7 onwards has a home button that carries a tiny chip and it is coded to the phones cpu id. Aftermarket home buttons will not work and the only solution is the apple store.

You know the iPhone 7 home button is solid state and so can't wear out, right?

You also know why the chip's there, right? (Secure fingerprint identification)
In reply to wilkie14c:

> it does develop faults however even though there's no clicky clicky thing

It's no different from the screen really. Those seem pretty reliable unless you smash them.
In reply to Dax H:

> That is a stupid idea but at least Android phones have expandable memory via cards.

Much more needed because at the time I was last looking nobody made 128 and 256GB Android phones. If they did it wouldn't be an issue.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...