UKC

Free mapping software/app

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi all, Ive got some .qct files which I use for mapping with Memory-Map on my home PC and want to use them on my Android device.

I have just imported them and installed Memory-Map on the device but it wants to charge me for using my own purchased maps. Having looked at the demo of it, Im not that happy with the software either.

Is there and app which is good but which is happy for me use my own maps without charge. Im happy for one or two adverts if necessary to get the free use.

Thanks

Richard
 Mike-W-99 02 Aug 2017
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

You must have one of the older mm licences? Mine lets me use it on quite a few devices including mobile.
In reply to Mike-W-99:

The one on my PC is ancient - 10 years or more.

Dan Arkle 02 Aug 2017
In reply

AlpineQuest is the app that you are after, it's not the slickest app, but having the whole of the uk at 1:25000 on my phone is satisfyingly.

In reply to Dan Arkle:

> In reply

> AlpineQuest is the app that you are after, it's not the slickest app, but having the whole of the uk at 1:25000 on my phone is satisfyingly.

Seems that the free version doesnt let me import my own maps.
 timjones 02 Aug 2017

> Seems that the free version doesnt let me import my own maps.

The paid version does the job OK in my experience.
Bellie 02 Aug 2017
The free version does... If I remember, you can find the folder on your phone/tablet that stores the maps then copy them into it. Then select those maps to display from within the program.

[edit] Just checked my phone and all Ive done is create a new folder on it and put the MM files in it, then selected them from within the app that way.
Post edited at 13:32
In reply to Bellie:

Hmm. Mine doesnt like it. Says the function isn't available in 'lite' version. Might just have to stump up the cash.
 thlcr1 03 Aug 2017
There used to be a paid for app called MMtracker on the play store which read .qct map files and was damn near perfect. Unfortunately memory maps took exception to another author offering an app which could read their maps and was much better than there own and threatened legal action unless it was withdrawn. Subsequently when android changed to version 4 (jelly bean), the original version stopped working and no official new version was available. However some clever nameless individual modified the original app to work on Jelly bean and offered it for download. I can vouch that the modified version still run perfectly well on Android 6.0.1 but from the xda-developers forum may have a problem on 7. The version you need is MM_Tracker-1.10.4-JB.apk I've just done a search and its still available to download from xda-developers.com. If you want to try it and have trouble finding a version, message me and I'll send you a copy. Its very easy to side load once you have the file. The alternative which has been mentioned is Alpinequest but in all honesty MM tracker is much better purely for .qct files. Always wondered how Alpinequest avoided be shut down by Memory Maps.

Lee
Post edited at 11:24
Bellie 04 Aug 2017

I've just had a look at mine and thats doing it as well. Must be a new version thing. Looks like I'll be getting my £6 out to allow me the multiple map option. It imported the whole of Scotland for me before. I must say - before this app I'd not really gone for this kind of stuff, but its quite handy as a back up on the hill, and if like me - you like perusing maps - gives you something to look at on the train!

Darren 20 Aug 2017

The full paid for version of Alpinequest is amazing. It's the only electronic mapping tool you'll ever need when on the fly. I always carry a hard copy of the map for the area I'm in, just in case, but for GPS navigation Alpinequest on my Samsung Galaxy phone is the business.

I actually have a Satmap Active 12 GPS unit, which is utter garbage in comparison to a phone with reliable GPS and Alpinequest. The only thing it loses on is battery life, but that's what portable battery packs are for!

Have a look at rmaps. Kinda like alpinequest, but free free rather than nag-you-to-upgrade free. Not sure what a .qct is but don't think you'll need them if you go this route.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/RMaps
 auld al 20 Aug 2017

Try maverick, select which maps you want to use (includes free ordnance survey) then scroll around and zoom in to load up for offline use

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...