UKC

American in Europe: Graduation Climbing Trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
vanbe052 02 Aug 2017
Hey everyone!

My father and I have been talking about doing a climbing trip throughout Europe when I graduate college next year. I could not be more excited and overwhelmed by the amount of fantastic climbing I've researched already, and I hope that the European climbing community could point me to some good crags I haven't thought of.

As an overview, I am looking to find places that I could use European transit to travel between and that fit our climbing abilities. We are looking to do sport climbing that ranges up to 5.11d (7a) and trad climbing up to 5.10b (6a+).

As of now, places I am interested in are the Dolomites - Italy, Arco - Italy, Chamonix - France, Ceuse - France, Catalunya - Spain. Is there any good way to get connected between these places? Are there other areas along the Alps I should check out?

Thank you!
 HeMa 03 Aug 2017
In reply to vanbe052:

I would add the southern region of Suisse to the mix as well. For the long trad routes (weather permitting). Bregalia, Salbit and Grimsel-Furka pass region. Perhaps Cadarese and Orco (both in IT) should also be added to the mix. Verdon (FR) should also be in the mix.

There are also usable public transport, to get between the locales (usually bus + trains + bus). But I would also consider renting a car. As if the weather is crappy, a half a days drive will get you to another stellar place. In fact, it takes less than a day to drive from Verdon/Ceuse to the Dolomites. But most likely around 2 days with public transport (or perhaps even more).

My suggestion would be to fly to perhaps Italy and start from there with a rental car, climbing in Dolomites, Arco and Cadarese, then Orco and drive into France for some Cham action. Then loop back to Italy via Verdon, Ceuse and Finaly Liguria and other stuff near the cost. Fly from Italy to Barcelona and again, get a car to sample the different crags there.

Generally a small car isn't that expensive in IT and Spain, a bit more in France and spendy in CH. But you might need to buy the vignetta for CH (around 40 CHF), if you cross the border...
vanbe052 03 Aug 2017
In reply to HeMa:

Thank you very much for your response! That sounds like a very good plan!

heleno 03 Aug 2017
In reply to vanbe052:

Are you planning to travel in summer? If so, you may find most of the Spanish areas pretty hot for climbing. For more comfortable conditions you might be better focusing on alpine or higher altitude areas in France, Italy or Switzerland. But whatever you choose I'm sure you'll have a great trip
vanbe052 03 Aug 2017
In reply to heleno:

Yes I'm planning to travel in the summer. The alpine areas seem pretty dense with climbing so I think you have a very good point. Thank you!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...