UKC

Kahtoola spikes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 normie boy 03 Aug 2017
These days... are alpine routes ever done with kahtoola spikes in preference to conventional old style crampons?
 Dave the Rave 03 Aug 2017
In reply to normie boy:

I use them regularly for British Winter 'Hillwalking' on not too steep routes.
Although they are good for an easy angled munro, I doubt whether they have the depth of spike for sustained use on steeper, icy slopes. Mine don't have front points and I'm not sure the newer ones do so this could make progress slower on steeper slopes where you need to front point.
Personally I would use 12pt, but then I'm very cautious and not very good
In reply to normie boy:

I've used the steel ones with front points in the Alps. They are great on rocks but feel very insecure on hard ice and especially on soft snow over ice as the points are short. They often feel a bit 'skittery'.
 Solaris 04 Aug 2017
In reply to normie boy:

*Micro*spikes? Useful running on neve up to ca. 35 degrees, but I'd not take them on any climbing route where I'd be likely to encounter hard water or snow ice, i.e. any alpine route.
Removed User 04 Aug 2017
In reply to Solaris:
Yep.

Traversing steep slopes is difficult as well., not as steep as 35 degrees, they lose stability.

Another thing for hill runners more than climbers is that the spikes on Kahtoolas can get buried between the cleats on the soles of Mudclaws.
Post edited at 23:05
In reply to normie boy:

If I was doing anything that resembled climbing and I had the choice between Air Techs and Microspikes it's AT's every time.

Microspikes aren't actually that light - their greatest benefit is their that the small spikes don't over elevate your feet, and they fit on virtually any footwear.
OP normie boy 06 Aug 2017
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I need to Google air tecs!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...