UKC

Ben Bransby's project to climb all Stanage routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ericinbristol 03 Aug 2017
Does anyone know how it;s going with Ben Bransby's project to climb all of the routes at 1,417 Stanage? I see that he said a year ago "I’ve got approximately 339 left to do with 223 below E1, 81 in the E1-E3 range, 20 E4-E5s, 13 E6s and the two E8s."
http://dmmclimbing.com/news/2017/07/climb-every-route-at-stanage/
 Offwidth 03 Aug 2017
In reply to ericinbristol:
More evidence! "I remember Little Things HVS (6a) being a really hard roof crack that I had to climb feet first and feeling like 6c – it does say in the guidebook “much harder, if at all possible, for the short” and I’m not known for being tall." I wonder if Chris is listening and still insisting this route is VS 6a (current feelings seem to be averaging out at hard but safe E3)

Best of luck with the ongoing project Ben.
Post edited at 15:04
Not sure about that, but my decade and a half project to climb everything (up to E1/2) in Peak Gritstone East graded list has ground to a bit of a halt in the face of the sheer number of Stanage routes including a fair few sandbags...

Anyway it'll be bloody impressive if he finishes it!
 remus Global Crag Moderator 03 Aug 2017

You can have a look at his logbook here, it seems pretty up to date https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/showlog.html?id=16901
 GridNorth 03 Aug 2017

A mate of mine, sadly no longer with us, climbed every route in the 1980's guide (1984? the green one) in the mid 80's and all within a 12 month period.

Al
 James FR 03 Aug 2017
In reply to remus:

So if there are 1417 routes, he's only got about 100 to go (including the two E8s) - there are 1304 entries in his logbook, all for Stanage.
 Postmanpat 03 Aug 2017
In reply to James FR:

> So if there are 1417 routes, he's only got about 100 to go (including the two E8s) - there are 1304 entries in his logbook, all for Stanage.

So that's one day. What's he going to do the next day?
 TobyA 03 Aug 2017

I met Ben at the BMC/Outside post-litter pickup BBQ a few weeks back. His stories about this were very impressive. He was talking particularly about some route that is in the guide but is ungraded which sounded somewhat horrendous, sort of squeeze chimneying/caving but with the possibility of falling a long way still if you messed it up!? He was saying he was worried that their might be some unknown mid-E grade route out there with a desperate move that he just might not be able to do. I think he's done the two E8s hasn't he?
 remus Global Crag Moderator 03 Aug 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Still got to do Marbellous and Mother of Pearl if his logbook is up to date. I think he mentioned in the DMM post linked in the OP that he's saving them for cooler temps.
 Iain Thow 03 Aug 2017
In reply to James FR:

I once added up all the routes, variations and things just referrred to at Stanage and reckoned there were 1547 in the current guide, so maybe a few more to go. Good on him if he completes it, he's obviously easily good enough. Didn't Johnny Dawes do all the ones in the then current guide in the 90s sometime?
 deacondeacon 03 Aug 2017

It'll be amazing when he does it. So good to here he's ticking multiple hard routes in August!
It's also my life long climbing ambition too but I reckon I'll be another decade or so yet
 deacondeacon 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

> More evidence! "I remember Little Things HVS (6a) being a really hard roof crack that I had to climb feet first and feeling like 6c – it does say in the guidebook “much harder, if at all possible, for the short” and I’m not known for being tall." I wonder if Chris is listening and still insisting this route is VS 6a (current feelings seem to be averaging out at hard but safe E3)

I thought at least E3 6b but perhaps there's a trick to it which makes it easy.
It's also a bit rubbish
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Aug 2017

I saw Ben on Stanage last Sunday and he ticked another 25 or so - in his approach shoes - hadn't realised he was 'on a mission'. Impressed with him doing Little Things and Look Before You Leap - routes deffo designed for the lanky!

Chris
 paul mitchell 04 Aug 2017
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Of mine,he has done Gift for Grumpy,Smelly Roof and Walrus Butter.. Other people are welcome to get on these too.
 ashtond6 04 Aug 2017
In reply to paul mitchell:

> Of mine,he has done Gift for Grumpy,Smelly Roof and Walrus Butter.. Other people are welcome to get on these too.

Thanks for that...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...