UKC

Simond Naja Light Axe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 04 Aug 2017

Simple question - is the head/shaft T Rated?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/naja-light-ice-axe-id_8340726.html

My old cirque was too long and like 650g (I weighed it). I was going to buy a Summit EVO in 55, or even a new Sum'Tec, but this is literally half the price.

Before you ask - I've already emailed decathlon but they won't reply.

Hopefully someone can decipher
"CE, EN13089, UIAA, Type 1 "
Post edited at 09:10
 galpinos 04 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:

By the looks of it, no. Type 2 is T rated, Tupe 1 is B rated afaik.
 nniff 04 Aug 2017
In reply to galpinos:

What he said - Type 1 is B, Type 2 is T. The formal difference is that Type 1 (B) is for use on snow and/or ice, and Type 2 (T) is for use on snow and/or ice and/or rock
OP neuromancer 04 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:
Huh - so neither the summit or the summit evo are t rated either.

The new sum'tec must be about the lightest t rated axe around then at 470g.

Or.. does it not really matter?
Post edited at 14:54
 99ster 04 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:
> Or.. does it not really matter?

Depends what you want to do with the axe. As I understand it, a B rated axe pick is not strong enough for demanding mixed climbing stuff like torquing, as it might fail. And similarly a B rated axe shaft is considered not strong enough to belay from.

I changed my DMM Cirque for a Petzl Summit Evo for using in the alps - about 30 seconds after I picked one up & realised how light & comfortable to hold it was in comparison to the Cirque! But I am also considering getting the new Sum'Tec as well - as it looks like a brilliant 'do everything' ice axe.
Post edited at 15:24
 LG-Mark 04 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:

For what its worth, my lad has just got one one these (literally today!) and for the price its incredible value. Seems well made although it is obvious where the savings are vs my own Black Diamond Swift but it was literally half the price.

I'd happily use it for general mountaineering.
OP neuromancer 04 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:

No need to torque the axe, that's why I have tools, but if you can't belay from it (say, in a slot, stomper or w/e) then it's not super helpful.
 nniff 05 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:

> No need to torque the axe, that's why I have tools, but if you can't belay from it (say, in a slot, stomper or w/e) then it's not super helpful.

You have a point - but you should always check the CE certificate of any snow before you belay from it.
 beardy mike 05 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:
Buy it, put my address in the mail to box and send it to me and I will evaluate it for an extensive period of time to make sure it's fit for purpose and Once this testing is completed I'll send it on to you. Shouldn't take to o long, maybe 10 years or so?
Post edited at 13:02
OP neuromancer 06 Aug 2017
In reply to nniff:

Good point. We could start using plastic carabiners as well so they're less likely to freeze up?
 Jonny 07 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:

The axe isn't T-rated, but it is a brilliant axe that's great on rock and moderate to steep ice. The pick catches beautifully and the little finger rest, although not comfortable compared to moulded plastic, has the benefit of grabbing ice well when using it in low or mid dagger positions and penetrating snow well during self-belay. The adze version feels really nice in the hand, whereas the hammer could do with a bit of grinding to take the very square edges off.

It really is something of a bargain, as are other new-epoch Simond axes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...