/ New Hard tail help

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
jethro kiernan - on 04 Aug 2017
Looking for some advice on mtb hard tails, I recently had my commuting/winter bike nicked and I am sorting out the insurance, I have decided to go for a new hard tail to complement a full sus, it will be for trail centre, exploring north wales and a go at bike packing I also want it to be fun to improve my bike handling skills.
At the moment an orange clockwork evo is the front runner which I can get direct from the insurer with a little extra, whyte 905 2018 is available from the LBS and marin are also available from my other LBS, I have a good relationship with both (an unhealthy one according to Mrs K)
Any thoughts, budget from £900 to £1600.
LastBoyScout on 04 Aug 2017
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Have you looked at On One?

Steel would be a good choice if you're looking at bike packing with it.
jethro kiernan - on 04 Aug 2017
garycrocker - on 04 Aug 2017
In reply to LastBoyScout:
Second on-one. Not light but contemporary geometry and solid. Mine does everything well. You can even get a dropper to fit, use I think make it.
colinakmc - on 05 Aug 2017

I recently had a shot on a Sant Cruz Chameleon on 27.5 plus tyres. It's quite expensive and too short in the reach for me, but the plus tyres were amazing for comfort and grip. The new Whyte 905 might well be a great solution - longer, cheaper and better specced- I'll be having a look myself if I don't get a T130S.
ChrisJD on 05 Aug 2017
TobyA on 05 Aug 2017
In reply to ChrisJD:

The Transmitters have been getting great reviews for a new company's first design, but if Jethro doesn't want to spend too much money and particularly with bikepacking in mind the Sonder Frontier range might be worth considering? Bearbonesbikepacking reviewed positively recently http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/sonder-frontier-tried-and-tested.html saying its a good bike for a lot more than just bikepacking and you can choose a build with suspension.
beardy mike - on 05 Aug 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Brant Richards who designed all the old classic On Ones designed them I believe, so basically he knows exactly what he's doing!
jethro kiernan - on 05 Aug 2017
In reply to ChrisJD:

Funnily enough a friend who used to work in the Alpkit shop was around with a Sonder, it was lovely and smooth, but some of the kit needed an upgrade and it would be quite expensive (dropper post and upgrade on the brakes) and I would probably run plus minus (2.5 or 2.6) as I am not entirely convinced that the sidewalls on 3.0 would take a beasting on some of the rockier trails. Also pricing up a Stanton build.
TobyA on 05 Aug 2017

I've got a 27.5+ bike (WTB 3" on the front and 2.8") on the back. I don't have suspension so have the pressure quite low and so far haven't managed to destroy the sidewalls, despite 'falling down' (a realistic description of my skill level) some of the Peak Districts rockier descents like Cut Gate and Potato Alley. I'm quite surprised actually since setting them up tubeless for the first time this spring what a battering they seem to be able to take!
MonkeyPuzzle - on 05 Aug 2017

I have a Stanton Slackline (26") and can only highly recommend. Loads of fun.
ChrisJD on 05 Aug 2017
The Sondor Trans is excellent - mate works for Alpkit and he rides one now and got to ride a few of the prototypes.

I'd stay away from plus tyres 2.8 or bigger on rocky stuff. Been there on a DMR, sidewall can't deal with it. Need too heavy a tyre to cope. Was getting through a tyre a ride.

Was going to suggest Stanton, but not within your requested budget!

My HT is currently a 2017 Commencal HT Meta. FRame was sub 300 pounds to buy and specced up as I wanted. Takes 160mm front forks as standard. It can rip.
Post edited at 20:25
ChrisJD on 05 Aug 2017

And don't forget to look at the Cotics!
jethro kiernan - on 06 Aug 2017
In reply to ChrisJD:
Yes self build may be the way to go , just looking for relatively wide and light rim, (with a set of bling hope hubs ;-).
ChrisJD on 06 Aug 2017

Hope Enduro rims are pretty good. Or the new Stans Flow EX.
ChrisJD on 06 Aug 2017

> Yes self build may be the way to go

The 2017 Com Meta HT frame is only £205 now!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/commencal-meta-ht-am-frame-2017/rp-prod147113

MonkeyPuzzle - on 06 Aug 2017
Race Face Aeffect wheels are getting great reviews and are a really good price.
Post edited at 14:31
Rigid Raider - on 06 Aug 2017

Why don't you get a gravel bike? You can ride that on any terrain and it will go much faster than a mountain bike.
In reply to ChrisJD:
http://www.ptcycles.co.uk/prod/25496/Stans+Flow+MK3+Hope+Pro+4+650b/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4Kv9x_HC1QIVS7ftCh0iBwNEEAQYAiABEgKxJ_D_BwE
Could get out of hand very quickly
Post edited at 16:13
ChrisJD on 06 Aug 2017

You can spend a lot (and then some more) on wheels ;-) But good wheels are worth it ;-)
ads.ukclimbing.com
Oli - on 06 Aug 2017

I've got a Bird Aeris and would recommend them as a company. If their hard tails are like the Aeris then I expect they will be a good ride too. The company is easy to deal with and a friend had very good experiences (having a wheel delivered next say to the Alps...) after a component defect.
In reply to Oli:

I did look at the bird website, it began to move out of my price range
I might just bite the bullet on the clockwork evo, the geometry is probably about right the wheels are a little average
damowilk on 06 Aug 2017

It's outside your budget, but I have the Sonder Broken Road titanium and love it.
I got it for bike packing and longer trails, to complement my Giant Reign full susser.
But I've been throwing it down all my local rocky trails here in Christchurch and it's performed well, I like the grip of the 2.8 plus wheels.
I plan to get a second set of wheels in 29er for any enduro, races, and less technical trails I might do.
Oli - on 06 Aug 2017

Generally they are pretty well specced for the price... I'm sure you can justify it to yourself somehow!
jethro kiernan - on 08 Aug 2017
it seems to be a two horse race, the Sonder transmitter if I can get a partial build (frame and forks and maybe dropper post) or a clockwork evo frame and build up. any more suggestions welcome
Post edited at 08:16

Clockwork evo pro it is, as I am tied to the Insurance companies retailer of choice, I could take the money elsewhere but there would be a 20% penalty as their provider had an equivlant bike in my size, 2 week wait before I can have a play. Thanks for the advice, and as an aside Alpkit and Sonder (Neil) were ace with their knowledgable replies to my enquiries, shame I couldnt go down the Transmitter route in the end.
MonkeyPuzzle - on 08 Aug 2017

The Clockwork looks very nice. I've my eye on a P7 as a replacement for my Stanton Slackline when the wheels give up and it's time to move to 650b.
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

I did look at the P7 but the Clockwork Evo fitted the middle ground between the regular Clockwork and the Crush/P7, the wheels are a little drab but the frame and geomatry seem pretty good

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.