UKC

Which Cullin Ridge Munro,s.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 05 Aug 2017
Off to Skye in a few weeks so my question is if you only had 1 day and wanted a 10 to 12 hours walk which munros would you string together and why. Never been to Skye before and as I'll be traveling alone dont fancy doing the whole ridge. Ok with scrambling and dont get bothered by exposure, navigation and map reading are not a problem and have all the right gear for such a walk. I am under no elusion as to how tough and serouse being up on the Cullins alone could be. Thanks in advance for any replies.
 Sean Kelly 05 Aug 2017
In reply to Russell Lovett:

Coire Lagan Horseshoe, about 8 hrs. up the E ridge of the In Pin and ab.. Otherwise reasonable ground. Sgurr Alasdair is quite scrambly and you need to find Collie's Ledge to traverse below Sgurr Mhic Choinnich. Check out the Walkhighlands site. 3 Munros.
 markk 05 Aug 2017
 atrendall 05 Aug 2017
In reply to markk:

Second Coire Lagan round. Do Collie's rout pronto Cioch then either go up eastern gully or do Wallworks. Over Sgurr Sgumain up Sgurr Alasdair, Sgurr Thearlaich. Collie's Ledges or King's Chimney on Sgurr Mhic C. then brilliant scramble up An Stac to In Pinn and descend E ridge Sgurr Dearg or if going well continue along ridge. I'm writing a guide to the Cuillin Ridge and this round is one of the best training/recce routes in it. Let me know if you want more info or I live in Sconser so your welcome to drop in for a chat on your way past.
 Rich W Parker 06 Aug 2017
In reply to atrendall:

For information: there's a bunch of nasty loose rock perched on the lower part of Collie's Route near where it joins Eastern Gully – care required. Actually while I mention this, the block at the top of the step down into King's Cave Chimney now moves when handled. It was handy to belay a rope around but now pivots on it's axis.
 atrendall 06 Aug 2017
In reply to Rich W Parker:

Had heard about this but did Collies and E Gully last week and wasn't as bad as I feared. Passable with care and possible to get gear in before and after for the prudent/cautious. Interesting about the loose block above KCC.
 Stuart S 06 Aug 2017

A slighty easier alternative to the round of Coire Lagan that gets you more Munros would be to head up onto the ridge via Coire a'Ghreadaidh to An Dorus, take in Sgurr a'Mhadaidh before heading south over Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh (the narrowest bit of the entire ridge) and Sgurr na Banachdaich. Here, depending on how you're feeling, you can descend easily down Coir' an Eich, or continue to Sgurr Dearg (optional escape down Sron Dearg), taking in the Inn Pinn if you feel up to it, and then descending to the head of the An Stac screes where you can also nip up Sgurr Mhic Choinnich. That would give you up to five Munros, with a couple of bail out points if time or energy reserves dictate. It's also less serious for a first Cuillin outing, particularly if you're on your own.
In reply to atrendall:

Thanks for the info. Im up in Scotland from the 18th August to 27th August, but im stopping of at Glen Etive and Glen Shiel on the way to Skye so won't be getting to Skye until the Monday. Im keeping my Skye scedual very open hoping to make the most of any good weather. I may well take you up on your kind offer to pop in for a chat as iv never been to Skye before and any info on things i should not miss would be much appreciated. I may well drop you a email through UKHILLWALKING a few days before i arrive in Skye, thanks again Russell.
 veteye 06 Aug 2017
In reply to atrendall:
Isn't there a possibility of wasting time finding the scramble between Sgumain and Alisdair? I seem to remember taking a while to find the route in the past.
 BnB 07 Aug 2017
In reply to veteye:

> Isn't there a possibility of wasting time finding the scramble between Sgumain and Alisdair? I seem to remember taking a while to find the route in the past.

It's the very obvious chimney 10 metres down from the crest on the right as you reach the bealach after the entertaining summit ridge of Sgumain. I can't see how you'd miss it.
 atrendall 07 Aug 2017
In reply to veteye:

Always a possibility of wasting time finding the way any where but I would't have thought that bit particularly hard even in poor visibility. Descend from Sgumain to the obvious beach with very distinctive pinnacles then head for the very distinctive left facing chimney/corner down to the right from the beach. This is about 50m east from the beach and 20m lower; faint traces of a path leading up to it from Sgurr Sgumain bevy cave and the screes under TD Gap. Only difficulty I can force is if you tried to carry on from beach directly up ridge which is much harder.
 normie boy 08 Aug 2017

Up coire grundy... eag, du more, Al.... round to Inn Pin and then all the way to mhadaidh. 12 hrs is good... half the ridge....ish...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...