/ MIA Trainee supervision opportunity, North Wales?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
The Ivanator - on 06 Aug 2017
I'm aware that MIA trainees often post here looking for "clients" to take out climbing, so placing a hopeful request that might just be mutually beneficial (sadly not in a financial position to pay a qualified MIA).
I'm an experienced (if mediocre) climber - logbook and profile up to date. I am hoping to take my 5 year old son Noah on an adventure to North Wales (thinking of climbing things like Tryfan Fach routes, Idwal Slabs, scrambles like Tryfan North Ridge could also work). He is enthusiastic and somewhat excitable, so would need supervision on belay ledges etc. which I can't do alone, hence would be great to have someone along to encourage him, keep him safe and help facilitate a couple of days of climbing.
Noah has been climbing indoors regularly for a year now and has done a few single pitch days outdoors, he has stamina and an intrepid spirit, so should be up for the challenge. I have gear for him and full rack, ropes etc. if required. Can offer post climb beers and eats if that tempts.
We are free Tuesday 8th August - Saturday 12th August, any 2 successive days in that window would be great, especially if the sun shines. Email me or post here if you could help us out and we can exchange contact details.
Thanks for reading,
Ivan
In reply to The Ivanator:

Would also be happy with any generous offers from friendly experienced climbers, perhaps someone else is in a similar situation and we could take our kids out together?
nickcj - on 06 Aug 2017

Another option maybe to split the cost of hiring an mia/c for the day with the trainee? That way you will benefit from the experience of a qualified instructor and the trainee can gain a lot from having a mentor observe and feedback on their practise prior to assessment.
In reply to nickcj:

That might work, could probably just stretch to 50% of an MIA fee for two days, though circa £250 would be a financial ouch!
George_Surf - on 06 Aug 2017

id take you guys out, im working flat out at the moment but can do 4pm onwards if you wanted to get a few routes in. probably the moelwyns is best for me (or tremadog but ive done a lot of days there). let me know!
In reply to George_Surf:

Thanks George for your kind offer, much appreciated - we'll be traveling up from the South, and also have kiddie bedtimes to be somewhat aware of, so probably want earlier starts to make the journey really worthwhile. I've been pointed towards a Facebook group for North Wales MIA trainees, so will try posting there too.
Sounds like you have plenty on your plate already, so really great you thought of squeezing us in. If I can't get a North Wales bite then we might head for the Peak instead, I can solo some single pitch Diffs and bring the young man up behind Never been to Windgather, so perhaps time to put that right.
GrahamUney - on 07 Aug 2017

I think it's likely that you'll find people to help you out with this, but I'm not sure from your post how an MIA trainee would benefit from your suggestion. It sounds like you'd want to lead the routes, while your MIA trainee babysits your 5 year old on belay ledges. I can't have got that right. Have I?
The Ivanator - on 07 Aug 2017
In reply to GrahamUney:
Think I have plans in place now - not bothered who leads, giving Noah a top experience is my priority. Whether I lead or follow a Diff is neither here nor there. Besides I expect most MIAs will have the odd job that involves looking after youngsters, so acclimatising to that can't be regarded as worthless.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.