UKC

NEWS: NTS Threaten Outdoor Firm Over 'Glencoe' Name Copyright

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 07 Aug 2017
Glen coe montage, 3 kbA bizarre row has erupted after it emerged that a Scottish outdoor firm has been threatened with legal action by the National Trust for Scotland over use of the name 'Glencoe', for which the Trust are claiming copyright.

Read more
 SteveSBlake 07 Aug 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Shameful, given it would have taken minimal common sense, and the IT wit of a five year old to check that the company have prior legal rights to use the name.

How much are NT Scotland paying these legal buffoons I wonder!

Steve
Removed User 07 Aug 2017
In reply to SteveSBlake:

This nonsense made the Today programme this morning.
 fred99 07 Aug 2017

What next ?

Am I to expect NTS to demand a name change to the Glencoe Mountain Technology axes that I have owned for years ?

It sounds more like the sort of action one expects from an American business (like one of Trump's).

What if someone living in Glen Coe village has a business - as they do - Glen Coe Stores, Glen Coe Hotel, Glen Coe Guides & Gear !!!
mysterion 07 Aug 2017
Trademark, the clue is in the name. What National Trust trade is it that is protected by the mark 'Glencoe'? - would be interesting to find out what these tw*ts think they do that allows them to threaten someone like this.

I cite Arkell v Pressdram
Post edited at 13:32
 Ian W 07 Aug 2017
In reply to mysterion:

See the other thread on this......
In reply to mysterion:

> I cite Arkell v Pressdram

Correct!

Michael Gordon 07 Aug 2017

Unbelievable. I guess just about every mountaineering boot name should be in breach of copyright also. How dare they call those boots Spantiks?!
kmhphoto 07 Aug 2017

They also own the Trademarks to St Kilda and Glennfinan and include "whips, ropes and collars" in their classes and terms so perhaps they intend opening an S&M club in the future?
 andrewgraham 07 Aug 2017

Iceland (the country) and Iceland(the frozen foods emporium) are locked in a similar copyright legal wrangle. Bonkers.
 Jamie Hageman 07 Aug 2017

Does that mean I have to rename my paintings "Unspecified Scottish Glen"?

I feel for Hilltrek - as a small company, they don't need this unnecessary stress and uncertainty. I suppose it could well prove to be good for business though!

Can all future posts please refer to the specified location as Glencoe™.
 Andy Hardy 08 Aug 2017

Are the NTS going to sue the Ordnance Survey? Bonkers.
 Tony Jones 08 Aug 2017
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

>

> I feel for Hilltrek - as a small company, they don't need this unnecessary stress and uncertainty. I suppose it could well prove to be good for business though!

I have a feeling that Hilltrek will come out of this with rather a lot of positive publicity. The NTS however may not.

I've been a member of both the National Trust (the English/Welsh/Northern Ireland version) and NT Scotland at different times over the years and there does seem to be a difference in the way the two organsiations are run: I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the NT south of the border distancing themselves from their Scottish cousins with regard to this nonsense soon.
 AllanMac 08 Aug 2017

According to this blog, The National Trust also intend to target photographers and film makers over image rights in Snowdonia with hefty charges for commercial photographers and even amateurs who sell images for profit:

https://tohatchacrow.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/national-trust-targets-photogra...

WTF??
 Ian Parsons 08 Aug 2017
In reply to kmhphoto:

> They also own the Trademarks to St Kilda and Glennfinan and include "whips, ropes and collars" in their classes and terms so perhaps they intend opening an S&M club in the future?

The National Trussed?
 Lemony 08 Aug 2017
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> The National Trussed?

Never any issue getting people to pay their subs.
 pebbles 08 Aug 2017
In reply to Lemony:

> Never any issue getting people to pay their subs.

There may be after this....
 Michael Gordon 08 Aug 2017
In reply to AllanMac:

> According to this blog, The National Trust also intend to target photographers and film makers over image rights in Snowdonia with hefty charges for commercial photographers and even amateurs who sell images for profit:

That is absolutely crazy!
 the2whytes 10 Aug 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH News: Suggest they read Groucho Marx's reply to Warner Brothers when they tried to sue him for using the word 'Casablanca' in one of his films: he threatened to countersue having been a 'brothe'r for years before them. I'm contemplating suing them on behalf of the Bishop of Aberbrothic who claimed the word 'Scotland' in the Declaration of same. National Trust for xxxxx?
Give them as much bad publicity as possible.
Bill

DavidD 10 Aug 2017

A quick search on that well known search engine shows a long list of Glencoes from a McGraw Hill web site to towns all over the US called Glencoe, US businesses called Glencoe something. It's a sad trend organisations trying to copyright or trademark buildings, areas, just the names etc.
 tdan0504 10 Aug 2017

I wonder how much the NTS pay the residents of Glencoe for the right to use the name of their village?
Much the same way as Kentucky Fried Chicken changed its name to KFC as previously Colonel Sanders had to pay a percentage from every bargain bucket he sold to the state of Kentucky.
 the2whytes 11 Aug 2017
It just occurred to me that the Scottish Crop Research Institute previously developed a raspberry name Glen Coe; can we see Nat Trust being given a big one from them, to stick up their Lost Valley?
Billw

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...