UKC

Valve Extender Problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 07 Aug 2017
I've just got a new bike where instead of just sticking the right length valves on they've used valve extenders. The problem is that I can neither inflate or deflate the tyres. I've tried sticking a 2mm Allen key down the extender to deflate it, but nothing happens. I can't take the extender off, I can't pump it up and I can't let it down (and it's only got about 60psi in it I'd guess).

Please help!
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I'd take the tyres off, inner tube out and see if they've done the inner tube valve up before putting the extenders on. The valve needs to be left open and even tightened open with pliers so that it can't 'slip' closed over time as you're riding. Hope that makes sense.
OP Yanis Nayu 07 Aug 2017
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Cheers. I reckon I could take a tractor tyre off with a tooth pick about as easily as taking tyres off carbon wheels. I managed to get the extender off with pliers, then use some tweezers to open the valve enough to deflate the tube. I couldn't get the tyre off, (snapped tyre levers) but managed to to pull enough tube out to get the extender on properly, like you said and with PTFE tape on to seal it, then feed it back in and inflate it. What a ball ache.

Kin awesome bike though
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

What wheels are they?
OP Yanis Nayu 08 Aug 2017

Reynolds Strike
 NorthernGrit 08 Aug 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

With all that faff - what's your plan for roadside punctures? Do you have a support car with spare wheels following you at all times? Genuinely curious.
In reply to NorthernGrit:

I've <crosses fingers> only once had a puncture in, I guess, 10,000 miles (using Conti GP tyres). I just get my missus to pick me up. It does, however, reduce the main benefit of clinchers - may as well use tubs.
 nniff 08 Aug 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
> I've only once had a puncture in, I guess, 10,000 miles (using Conti GP tyres).

You've done it now - puncture misery awaits! It shouldn't be that hard to get a tyre on and off - last one I did on a carbin wheel came off easily enough and went back on without a lever. Do you work the tyre all the way off the rim and into the centre-line of the wheel before you try and take it off/put it on?

PS I've only once had to call out my lawful wedded opponent - I ran through a patch of glass and got two punctures, but only had one spare tube. Seeing as we were supposed to be going out and I had just 'popped out for a quick spin' she was less than amused. She has a certain look; it says, "Try that again, pal, and your bikes are going on ebay in pieces".
Post edited at 10:34
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Looking at the Reynolds site the deepest strike model has 62mm rims. Just get yourself some tubes with 80mm valves.

I will, it's just a) I shouldn't have to, and b) it's a massive pain in the arse.
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Strange, I find changing tubes a five minute job and I have all sorts of wheels including ZIpp 808s which are deep, full carbon and have to have extenders.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...