UKC

Recommend me a lightweight sleeping bag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben_Climber 08 Aug 2017
Looking for a lightweight sleeping bag that will be ideal for summer camping.
I am also heading out to the Dolomites in a few weeks and have got my sights set on a 2 day via ferrata route which requires a stay in a bivy hut.
So lightweight and compact will be ideal.

Can you get a decent one for under £100?

Cheers,
Ben
 TobyA 08 Aug 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

What is "lightweight"? Loads of sleeping bags available for well under that price, but whether they are warm enough or what you consider lightweight is the question. If you scroll down to the bottom of this review https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=9004 I make a few suggestions of light bags that are cheap.
 arasham 08 Aug 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I've always quite liked Snugpak ones. On the weight/warmth/price/size balance they do quite well. I reckon they are a bit generous on the temperature ratings but are good kit. Avoid the basecamp range - cheap and warm but massive!
OP Ben_Climber 08 Aug 2017
In reply to TobyA:

I'm looking for something that will give me comfort down to about 5 degrees. I have a 3/4 season bag that will get used if its going to be colder.
My main concern is it being light (ideally not much over 1KG) and small when in the stuff sack so it doesn't take up to much room in my bag.

Most of the time I will be in a tent, bothy or shelter of some sort so think the 5 degree rating should be ok.

Ben
OP Ben_Climber 08 Aug 2017
In reply to arasham:

Had a quick look and this seems to fit the bill.
http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/sleeping-bags/softie-3-merlin-sleeping-bag

Not come across them before and not sure of the quality compared to the likes of Rab and Mountain Equipment.

Ben
 TobyA 08 Aug 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

How about https://www.alpkit.com/products/mountain-ghost-140 7 degree rating (wear a hat and long underwear if it's colder) and under a kg. 60 quid isn't too bad either.
 thlcr1 08 Aug 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I realise not everyone likes GoOutdoors, but there own brand OEX helios bag is pretty good. 300g of RDS certified hydrophobic down and all up weight of 750g all for £120. I've got one and the weight is genuine, it will packs up very small and is big enough for me at 6'2''. Go Outdoors quote comfort +3 limit -3. That seems a bit over optimistic for a bag with 300g of 600fp down, so i'm not surprised I only find mine warm enough for about 7 or 8. However I consider that fine for a bag of this weight unless you pay about 3 or 4 times as much.

Lee
 Toerag 08 Aug 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> I am also heading out to the Dolomites in a few weeks and have got my sights set on a 2 day via ferrata route which requires a stay in a bivy hut.

Which route is that? Have you checked to see if the hut is equipped with blankets?
 bouldery bits 08 Aug 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:
You need have no doubts about snugpaks quality.

The military sleeka jacket is well sought after
Post edited at 22:33
 Jimbob11 08 Aug 2017
In reply to thlcr1:

Have the same OEX bag, my Rab was too warm for summer and at a cost of £300 I wanted to look after it and have something else for dossing in huts and bunkhouses aswell as something less warm for summer. I think it's fantastic, light, compact and warm! Spacious for me at 6'3". Give it a try.
OP Ben_Climber 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Toerag:

Planning on doing the Sorapiss Circuit. There has been mention of the shelter having blankets, but better to be prepared I guess. The bag will get plenty of use when I am back in the UK as well.
Think I am going to try one of the SnugPak bags. They seem to fit the bill.

Ben

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...