UKC

£1000 mtb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 coinneach 08 Aug 2017
After a couple of painful springs on the road bike, I've decided to invest in some winter entertainment.

I'll be using the Cycle to Work scheme, hence the £1k budget. Mainly trail centres and local rail tracks / coffin roads.

Recommendations please . . . .
 PPP 08 Aug 2017
In reply to coinneach:

Can you choose the retailer? That could be the deciding factor what you can get.
Hard tail or full suss?
Did you try renting a bike?

I got a 29" hardtail with 100mm travel (Scott Scale 950 2016) and I am more than happy with it. Got a bit disappointed that £1k bike still has unsealed bearings, something I didn't know about and did't think of. A year later I upgraded the shifters to XT which seems like the best upgrade to the bike so far. I do long rides, so I feel like 2x10 gearing suits me better.

Keep in mind that some schemes let you go over the £1k mark, you just pay anything over £1k straight away.
OP coinneach 08 Aug 2017
In reply to PPP:

Can pretty much use anyone. Halfords are the companies partner but we don't have to use them.

15 + years since my last mtb ( Giant xtc ) but things have moved on a lot.

Hard tail would be my choice.
 jethro kiernan 08 Aug 2017
In reply to coinneach:

a little over budget but alpkit sonder transmitter and broken road (just about in budget) tick a lot of boxes, I was all up for getting a transmitter as an insurance replacement but got tied down too my insurance companies bike supplier.
 kermit_uk 08 Aug 2017
In reply to coinneach:

Go Outdoors own brand Calibre Bossnut is a grand and gets crazy good reviews just watch the videos of reviews etc.

Designed by riders in the Peak District.

Won plenty of bike of the year awards.
 Kemics 08 Aug 2017
In reply to kermit_uk:

this.

I bought a bossnut through the cycle to work scheme. And I love it. I use it mostly for flat trails and the odd bit of downhill at somewhere like bike parkwales.

Comparably I used to rent a Trek Slash 7 when I would go to the bike parks. I feel they are equal in terms of ride quality and experience and it's a third/half the price.

To me it's the ultimate bike for the £1k mark. (although I know the boardman Fs pro gets hype too)

I would say ignore the people who say get a hard tail ... notice how they all ride full suss?
 ChrisJD 09 Aug 2017
In reply to jethro kiernan:

> I was all up for getting a transmitter as an insurance replacement but got tied down too my insurance companies bike supplier.

If you keep pushing them, they normally give cash (from what I've heard from mates)
 ChrisJD 09 Aug 2017
In reply to coinneach:

Been some good past UKC threads on this. Have a trawl
 jethro kiernan 09 Aug 2017
In reply to ChrisJD:

They would give cash but as a suitable replacment in my size was available with their supplier, the cash option would have been at a 30% reduction on the Original replacement quote from the bike supplier (wheelies). I went for a Clockwork orange evo through them so not disapointed. M&S house Insurance with included bike cover is expensive but good when you need it.
 ChrisJD 09 Aug 2017
In reply to jethro kiernan:

OP - sorry for hijack!

30%! I've heard of 10%, but 30% sounds stupid.

We were with M&S for years for contents, bikes, cameras, but just swapped over to PedalCover (broker run by triathletes). They've negotiated better cover all round and halved our annual M&S Premium (due to specified bikes). With PedalCover get unlimited house contents, unspecified unlimited bike cover at home/garage and up to £12K of bikes away from home (max £6K per bike), including locked on bike rack and in car/van. Not so good for other stuff away from home like cameras (£1k max possessions). And you get to talk to a human.

... Hijack OVer

The Orange will be ace

ChrisJD 09 Aug 2017
In reply to kermit_uk:

And the new improved Bossnut V2 is out (or due soon?) at £1300:

http://singletrackworld.com/2017/07/first-look-the-1300-calibre-bossnut-v2/
 nutme 09 Aug 2017
I would recommend to rent a bike for a day before buying if it's possible. Fare on £1k bicycle would be like £20 - £30 and after a day in saddle you would know for sure if it's good for you.

Careful with 29 wheels. Unless you are tall it may be quite uncomfortable. 27.5 is a good alternative. But still depends on your leg length.
 ChrisJD 09 Aug 2017
In reply to coinneach:

> Hard tail would be my choice.

Lots of info here on JK's recent thread:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=668708

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...