UKC

most reliable European cragging areas Oct/Nov

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi All

I am after the wisdom of the UKC users, I have a 4 weeks free at the end of October and start of November, looking for recommendations for climbing areas within Europe with reliable weather then, good routes mid 6's to low 8's, probably looking to drive as I have a van to sleep in (but would like a camp site for some of the night), I live near Briancon (french alps) so closer to there the better, also happy to do a road trip and take in a few places, or have options if the weather changes.

many thanks for any help or advice given

cheers Rob
J1234 09 Aug 2017
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Try Lleida area. Big Multi, sport, trad, various rock types. Look at Abbela de Conca, Vila Nova de mia, Clollagets, Teradedts, Montseratt. Riglos no far and Siurana a hop skip and a jump.
In reply to J1234:

thanks I will check them out

cheers
 Rick Graham 09 Aug 2017
In reply to J1234:

> Try Lleida area. Big Multi, sport, trad, various rock types. Look at Abbela de Conca, Vila Nova de mia, Clollagets, Teradedts, Montseratt. Riglos no far and Siurana a hop skip and a jump.

Are you sure?

I have been to this area quite a few times.
We have only been twice in October.
Both of these October trips were comparative wash outs.

jon 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

We were there at the end of November last year and had good weather. The only problem was the inversion fog on some days the crept up to almost 900m. Once above it was great. Worth knowing that in those conditions the fabulous wall of Ager is just about perfect!

To the OP, you might want to check those spellings.
In reply to jon:

Hi All thanks for the advice, I have spent some time digging through guidebooks and online sources but normally they just give a monthly rain fall, which doesn't always relate to how much climbing you can get done.

Jon sorry for poor spelling, I struggle with checking spelling very dyslexic, if the computer high lights it i can sort it, if not I struggle.
J1234 09 Aug 2017

I think it was my spelling he was referring to, and I am not Dyslexic, just lazy
In reply to J1234:

ah guess I am just use to it being me, and I don't mind bing pulled up on it, as for lazy that why my french is still so bad after a few years of living here

thats for the advice I check there areas on line

cheers
 jon 09 Aug 2017
I wasn't referring to YOUR spelling but to bedspring's. And I certainly wasn't criticising or being pedantic - it was to help you locate the places when googling.

Edit: yes, reading back my post was a little ambiguous, sorry!
Post edited at 17:15
 IPPurewater 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

October and November can be rather wet in Northern Spain.

The Eastern med should have drier weather that time of year.
In reply to jon:

Hi Jon

I really didn't think you were criticising or being pedantic, I am aware I struggle with spelling especially if a quick post and just assumed it was me,

thanks for the heads up, I have found most of these places now, just seeing what else comes up as option.

cheers

dominic o 10 Aug 2017
We've spent two of the last three autumns in northern Spain and had generally awesome weather. As well as the Lleida area (which gets a +1 vote but can suffer from fog inversions) you've also got Aragon (including Riglos and Rodellar) and the Taragonna region (Siurana etc) as well as the Pyrenees. Don't be put off Costa Verde either - we climbed non-stop throughout end September / mid October last year.

Check out our blog for ideas of cragging and camping (we were van based too)

October 2016 (Costa Verde Aragon and Pyrenees)
https://doughton.wordpress.com/2016/10/

November 2014 (Catalunya - Lleida and Taragonna)
https://doughton.wordpress.com/2014/11/

Post edited at 08:30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...