UKC

Rope for sports climbing Kalymnos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CathyJ04 09 Aug 2017
I'm relatively new to climbing and planning a trip to Kalymnos for the end of September with my boyfriend. We have a (budget end of the market) 60m Edelweiss 10mm rope which we've had for about a year and use infrequently - a mixture of indoors and outdoors.

We're going for 2 weeks and I'm wondering if really we should be taking 2 ropes rather than climb on the same one everyday?
 Dandan 09 Aug 2017
In reply to CathyJ04:

There is no harm in using the rope every day for 2 weeks, however you will be limited by its length, a lot of routes in Kaly are well over 30m in length.
An 80m rope is usually suggested to get you up (and down) 99% of routes on the island safely, however some of the longer routes will be split into 2 'pitches' with a midway lower off which means a shorter rope is still usable if you re-thread it on your way down.

If you do decide to just stick with the 60m rope, make absolutely sure there is a knot in the dead end of the rope or better yet, tie it to your rope bag so that nobody gets dropped.

Have fun!
 FreshSlate 09 Aug 2017
In reply to CathyJ04:

A 60m will get you up 80% of routes in Kalymnos, 70m more like 90%.
 climberchristy 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Dandan:

Good advice about tying knot in dead end of rope.

However to say 99% of routes in Kaly need an 80m rope is a very misleading exaggeration. I've been to Kaly twice with a 60m rope and had great trips. There are thousands of routes under 30m long. You just avoid the longer ones. I'd guess 70 to 80% of routes are under 30m.

So...to the OP... if you don't want the expense of buying a 70 or 80m then go with your 60m and just read the guide book carefully choosing those routes that are safely uder 30m long. You won't run out of routes for a very long time. But do tie a knot in the end. Personally I always tie dead end to the rope bag.

Have fun. You'll love the climbing there.
 Dandan 09 Aug 2017
In reply to climberchristy:

> However to say 99% of routes in Kaly need an 80m rope is a very misleading exaggeration.

I know it's pedantic but there is a big difference between '99% of routes need an 80m rope' and what I said, which was 'an 80m rope will get you up 99% of routes'

You certainly will not run out of things to do with a 60m rope but it does require that bit of extra vigilance when picking routes. I'd be really frustrated if I spotted an amazing line but I couldn't climb it because my rope was too short...
 climberchristy 09 Aug 2017
In reply to Dandan:

OK so I misquoted you. Sorry for that. However if we are going down the pedantry route you've also misquoted yourself. What you actually said is 'an 80m rope is usually suggested to get you up or down 99% of routes' and that is simply not true. I also hope you'd agree that what you put might well mislead the OP who has no prior knowledge of Kaly into thinking they needed to go out and buy an 80m rope or else only have 1% of the routes available. I wanted the OP to be clear that they'd have loads to go at.
 kipper12 09 Aug 2017
In reply to CathyJ04:

Having done 5 trips in 5-years, all with a 70, I didn't find a hinderance. Personally. If you can make it, I'd go for a 70, though a 60 will give you loads to go at. When I replace my current sport rope, I'll go for an 80. Enjoy, I'm heading back early September .
OP CathyJ04 11 Aug 2017
In reply to CathyJ04:

Thanks everyone, that's really useful. I had considered the possible length issue but given my climbing grade I think there will be plenty of options with 60m this trip. I have a feeling it won't be the last trip to Kalymnos!
 climberchristy 12 Aug 2017
In reply to CathyJ04:

I'm sure it won't be your last trip. You'll want to go back again and again. You'll love it. Have fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...