UKC

How to patch a 2" hole in ceiling?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 09 Aug 2017
I dropped something heavy in the loft and it's made plaster drop off the ceiling at four holes in a line (presumably where the loft joist is connected to the ceiling).

The holes are about an inch in diameter and approx 3mm deep.

Can anyone suggest what I should patch it with before painting over it please?

I've filled nail holes before with filler but that stuff says should only use on tiny holes not bigger things like this.

Many thanks!
 subtle 09 Aug 2017
In reply to elliot.baker:

Bluetack in the holes to form a base, some filler on top and flush that off as normal, then paint when filler sets.
OP elliot.baker 09 Aug 2017
In reply to subtle:

really blutack!? or is that a cunning joke to get me to make it wrong?
 Lemony 09 Aug 2017

if they're that shallow then skim filler will do it. You blob it on with a paintbrush then smooth it as it dries.
 winhill 09 Aug 2017

papier mache the hole first. or build up layers of better filler.
 subtle 09 Aug 2017

> really blutack!? or is that a cunning joke to get me to make it wrong?

Pliable, will stick to the base/sides of holes to form, a base for the filler to stick to.

You can also pack the holes out with paper / anything else but bluetack sticks

Good luck with the repair.
 LastBoyScout 09 Aug 2017

If it's only 3mm deep, then pretty much any filler will do it.
 FactorXXX 09 Aug 2017

I think you might need a new ceiling.
 Neil Williams 09 Aug 2017

You can get coarser filler that works in deeper holes.
 JLS 09 Aug 2017
I suspect that the plaster board panel is no longer properly fixed to the joists.
Beyond filling the four holes you may want to put a stack of extra new screwnails into the ceiling to be sure it's going to stay up. The screw heads will of course also need to be filled over...
Post edited at 15:05
 timjones 09 Aug 2017
In reply to subtle:

> Pliable, will stick to the base/sides of holes to form, a base for the filler to stick to.

> You can also pack the holes out with paper / anything else but bluetack sticks

> Good luck with the repair.

Why not just fill them in properly rather than bodging the job?
In reply to timjones:

What does "properly" imply in this context? I know practically nothing about DIY!
Rigid Raider 09 Aug 2017
In reply to JLS:

Spot on. Put a few screws in close to the popped ones to pull the ceiling back up to the joists then fill all the holes with Polyfilla and sand down.
 Lemony 09 Aug 2017

Knock the house down and start again.
In reply to Rigid Raider:

the thing I dropped wasn't that heavy.... so you're saying I might have made the ceiling move away from the joists a bit then?
I'm worried if I start screwing things in I'll make cracks or something or make it worse.
 JLS 09 Aug 2017
To cause the 4 new holes to appear you've certainly moved the plasterboard away from the joists. Those four former fixings are no longer working and I suspect quite a few others in the area are no longer working despite no external visible signs. Almost certainly when to do put new fixings in, you'll cause some pop nail holes to appear.

On your head be it, if you fail to put in new fixings. Quite literally!
Post edited at 15:59
 gethin_allen 09 Aug 2017

Aside from the issue of which filler to use and whether or not you decide to add a couple of extra screws or not, I'd blob a bit of watered down PVA or primer/stabilising solution in the holes before filling to stop the plasterboard from drying out the filler too quickly and potentially cracking it.
 DancingOnRock 09 Aug 2017

Put 4 new plasterboard nails next to the old ones.

Cover the line with joint tape and polyfilla over the length of the tape.
Lusk 09 Aug 2017

> the thing I dropped wasn't that heavy.... so you're saying I might have made the ceiling move away from the joists a bit then?

> I'm worried if I start screwing things in I'll make cracks or something or make it worse.

Get back in the loft and if the board is still tight against the joists, just fill the holes.
Otherwise, do as JLS said and re-fix the board (with the black trumpet headed plasterboard screws).
Drive them in so they sink into the board without puncturing the backing paper i.e. not too far!
mattlee 09 Aug 2017
Hi,

Get hold of some plasterers tape from B&Q (Other DIY stores are available). This stuff is designed to be put over the kind of hole you describe and then allows a contemporary filler to be used to smooth over the top. I've just removed some old plug sockets from a wall and used this method as part of the repair and it worked fine.

Wait for it to dry, sand it smooth and bonnet da douche' (as they say in the Dordogne).
Post edited at 17:21
 Siward 11 Aug 2017
In reply to mattlee:

Toothpaste. Don't use the stripy sort though.
mattlee 11 Aug 2017
In reply to Siward:
Aaah good point, Stripes might not go.

The room will be minty fresh as well !
Post edited at 11:45
 krikoman 11 Aug 2017

Jam and then meringue.
 Toerag 11 Aug 2017
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> Put 4 new plasterboard nails next to the old ones.

Everytime you whack them with a hammer you'll disturb the ceiling and create more holes at other nail positions. Use plasterboard screws (the black ones) to avoid this.

mattrm 11 Aug 2017

As others have said you need to make sure that the plasterboard is still fixed to the joists. I'd go with screws as well.

As for the filler, I've used this on holes the plasterers said 'couldn't be filled'. Which I think is shorthand for we couldn't be arsed.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-lightweight-filler-white-500ml/75073

It's not cheap, but it's ace for small ceiling patches.
 alx 11 Aug 2017
In reply to mattlee:

Traditional methods using feces should not be ruled out at this point.

Think of your carbon footprint and used locally source materials.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...