UKC

Road shoes recommended?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roobag 10 Aug 2017
I need some new road shoes and feel I have to change brand (Merrell), a genuine first world problem I know but one that I have dedicated far too much time looking online for already and drawn no conclusions.
My last pair were not really suitable for the amount of road compared to trail I was running as they were mixed terrain. They were also zero drop with very little cushioning.
But now I'm looking for around 10mm drop and moderate cushioning. I am a forefoot striker and am looking to improve my short distance pb over the next few months so will want something responsive but will also want to cover 13+ miles as I also intend to do my first marathon in them.
I have tried one of the cheaper Asics models (nimbus maybe!?) and found them hot and bouncy and did not enjoy that feeling.
Can anyone offer recommendations? Tfr
 tony 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Roobag:

At the risk of stating the obvious, go to a decent running shop and try on a few different shoes. What works for one person doesn't work for someone else. The most important thing is fit, and you'll only get to know that by wearing the shoes. A decent shop will have a treadmill so you can at least get the feel with a few strides.

For what it's worth, I use Brooks GTS, and have done for years, but that doesn't mean they'd necessarily be any good for you.
 The New NickB 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Roobag:

If you can get along with the relatively narrow fit, something like the Adidas Tempo might be the sort of thing you are after. 10mm drop and a relatively firm ride from a dual density sole. I'd say it's a fast training shoe rather than a racing flat, but at 260g it is pretty light and I have run, for me, some fairly fast times in them. For me they are the right balance between a fast, light and responsive shoe and one that I can clock up training miles in. I use Saucony Fastwich as an out and out racing shoe, but they only have a 4mm drop.
 wbo 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Roobag:
Nike Pegasus . Neutral, pretty light, good cushion - enough but not too much, good 'bounce', moderately stiff, cheapish, last well. Can do a little bit trail duty, upper lasts well too

Obviously I think they're great, but while I've tried some other shoes I keep going back if I want a comfortable shoe that will ' just do it'

(I reckon I've done about 40000 miles over the years in Pegasus)
Post edited at 08:57
 kathrync 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Roobag:

I am another Nike Pegasus fan for an adequately but not overly cushioned neutral shoe.

Having said that, as tony said, go to a running shop, and try some on. The best will always be the one that you feel most comfortable in.
Ste Brom 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Roobag:

Pegasus again.

However, watch out for running shops with gait analysis trying to flog you jarg trainies for top dollar.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...