UKC

Bouldering Mat Repairs - Anywhere In The Leeds Area?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 afx22 10 Aug 2017

My main bouldering Mat has had some hammer and needs repairing. The handles and Velcro straps have either already come unstitched or are about to.

Does anyone know anywhere that could re-stitch it? (Bearing in mind it's a very high denier material). Somewhere in the Leeds area would be ideal.

Thanks in advance
Post edited at 14:25
 alx 10 Aug 2017
In reply to afx22:

Have you considered trying a flexible bonding agent like rubberised glue or similar that is used to fix normal shoes?

If the main fabric is shot, stitching onto it may just rip away again. Bonding a larger patch over the area then adhering the broken parts could be a good way of getting more life out of an old mat
OP afx22 10 Aug 2017
In reply to alx:

The fabric is generally fine. It's the stitching that has gone, such as where the handles are stitched to the main body of the pad.
 andychapm 11 Aug 2017
In reply to afx22:

Hi,
A few options for you.
Firstly, you could could buy one of these,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedy-Stitcher-Kit-Sewing-Needles/dp/B0049W6XRE and do a quick repair yourself.
Alternatively (and the more professional option) is this place in otley, http://canvasman.co.uk/
He's just off the town centre (near the Junction pub). I've had some caving kit repaired there and he's done a great job. You could combine it with a trip to Caley!
 Kemics 11 Aug 2017
In reply to afx22:

Alpkit are based near Sheffield, they make all their pads there. Might be worth contacting and see if one of their machinists would take it on after hours?
 James Malloch 11 Aug 2017
In reply to afx22:

I've not done this in Leeds but I took the foam out of mine and gave it to a local cobbler. They have heavy duty sewing machines and it cost me about a fiver when my rucksack strap snapped off.

However, make sure you explain what needs doing first as when I went to collect mine they had stitched right through to the landing side meaning the pad was stitched shut....
 Swig 11 Aug 2017
In reply to Kemics:

Yes, there are sewing machines in the Alpkit Hathersage store.
OP afx22 11 Aug 2017
In reply to afx22:

Thanks for the replies. That's given me plenty to go at. I'll look for a cobbler first or try Canvasman
 Fobbit169 11 Aug 2017
In reply to afx22:

Email the manufacturer they may repair it for free or replace it. Mats shouldn't really fall apart even after a few years use.
OP afx22 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Fobbit169:

I can't grumble. It's been used a lot and had plenty of hammer, being dragged all over the place.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...