UKC

Winter Sleeping Bag any help very much appreciated

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Vonduffer 10 Aug 2017
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a decent and cost effective winter sleeping bag, something i can use in the UK and can handle cold winters in Scotland for a wild camping so circa -15. I need a bag that is both small and lightweight, budget for the bag around £200 ish, I also need a sleeping mat as well and my sleep system will be used inside my tent.

The makes I am considering are: Alpkit, Summiteer and Outdoor Vitals. These all look decent apart from the OV which I understand is quite a new brand but they do ship to the UK, Alpkit had a great reputation and Summiteer also looks good. I have read the reviews and think I have got my head around all the tech about filling technicalities, types of down etc etc but would really like to hear peoples real life views.

One option I was considering was getting an Alpkit Skyehigh 900 + Hunka XL + Thermarest NeoAir Xtreme + Alpkit Masson sleeping bag liner, would this work? It might seem overkill but I don't want to get cold or wet.

Any helps, views, opinions or experiences very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Richard
 Retro Rowan 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Vonduffer:

I would be inclined to go for the PipeDream 600 over the SkyeHigh 900 - lighter, packs smaller, and has the same temperature rating near enough.
As for the Bivi bag - no need if, as you said, you'll be in a tent.
Not tried the Thermarest and I don't use sleeping bag liners as it's extra weight to carry all day for a bit of luxury in my opinion.
 Trangia 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Retro Rowan:

> I don't use sleeping bag liners as it's extra weight to carry all day for a bit of luxury in my opinion.

I think the "extra weight" of a silk liner is so small that it's virtually negligible. The advantages are that it makes the sleeping bag noticeably warmer, and stops the bag itself from getting smelly and manky. Trying to wash a sleeping bag at the end of a trip is difficult if not impossible, whereas a silk liner is easy to wash and quick drying.
 TobyA 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Retro Rowan:

> I don't use sleeping bag liners as it's extra weight to carry all day for a bit of luxury in my opinion.

I use one regularly now when bikepacking as there is a good chance you'll be covered in mud and they are much easier to wash than a fancy down bag. It might add 1 or 2 degrees of warmth but nowt more I reckon. Mine is a silk one from Decathlon, weighs about 150 grams I think and didn't cost too much - may 25 or 30 quid. Machine washable is the main thing.

thlcr1 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Vonduffer:

Having recently recommended the OEX Helios EV 300 for somebody wanting a light summer bag, Id suggest looking at the OEX Leviathan EV 900 for winter. I got one last month and was mighty impressed with the weight and loft. Certainly thicker and lighter than the Rab Ascent 900 I compared it with. Unfortunately after trying it for fit a couple of times, I decided it was just borderline too short (i'm 6'2'') and took it back. I think for a winter bag fit is very important, as you want the hood and neck baffle to fit well but don't want to compress the down in the foot. If your shorter than me I'd say it was worth a look for £170 a weight of under 1400g and comfort/limit ratings of -9/-16.

Lee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...