UKC

INTERVIEW: Kim Carrigan and Andy Pollitt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 11 Aug 2017
Kim Carrigan on Millwheel Wall, 3 kbAndy Pollitt reflects on halcyon days with influential Australian climber Kim Carrigan, who established multiple routes Down Under and hopped across to the UK to show us how it was done in the 80s.

Read more
 Tyler 11 Aug 2017
In reply to UKC Articles:

Really enjoyed that, thanks
 nastyned 11 Aug 2017

Great photo of Dougie too!
 Shani 11 Aug 2017

"We'd crank limestone classics in the morning on superb crags like High Tor then spend long summer evenings soloing across the gritstone edges of Stanage, Curbar and Burbage south." - the epitome of the halcyon days of many a climber's life!

Loving it Andy. Keep 'em coming!
 Greenbanks 11 Aug 2017

Excellent read - brought back a lot of memories (KC at the Sobell wall etc).

Thanks
 jon 11 Aug 2017

Excellent, Andy.

> Jerry mentions you and Douggie in his biography Revelations watching him attempting to free the 1st pitch of Little Plum at Stoney Middleton and how your joint presence spurred him on

Hmmm, joint presence, eh?

I remember watching Kim on the Ring Route numerous times in 1985. He was so strong and neat and precise that I just couldn't understand why he kept failing on it!
smurff 11 Aug 2017

Another great interview, are you going to be calling Mr Hall?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Aug 2017
 Sean Kelly 11 Aug 2017
In reply to smurff:

> Another great interview, are you going to be calling Mr Hall?

I can recall 'Choe' Brooks introducing me to Dougie at Froggatt as a novice climbing partner. He then promptly flew up Chequer's Crack, pure class!
 AP Melbourne 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Crackin', historical pic CC, nice one.
Cheers,
And.
 BlownAway 12 Aug 2017
Arriving at Stoney in November would be a shock for most UK climbers never mind a foreigner coming from such places as Kim on his travels.

OK so they clearly didn't get on at first, and ended up as so many often did; in the cafe. He obviously stayed on though, at a time when Stoney was probably at the top of its game.

I'd be interested to know more about Kim's subsequent visits to Stoney and how he measured Peak climbing on a worldwide scale.
 webbo 12 Aug 2017
In reply to BlownAway:
If you look at the latest historical photo, Kim's belaying at Stoney with Jenny Alex Lowes girlfriend behind him.
Cloggy 13 Aug 2017

Nice to be remembered Andy, you flashed up Physcic Threshold, I don't recall you resting at any point, thanks for having the strength to pull me up! Dave Cowans
 webbo 13 Aug 2017
In reply to AP Melbourne:
I have just emptied my loft due to moving house. I rediscovered Kim's UK guide books that he left with me back in the 80's. He did ask me to post them to him but as I'd just got married and couldn't afford the postage so I sort of forgot about it.
Does he want them now.
Post edited at 22:21
 AP Melbourne 13 Aug 2017
In reply to Cloggy:

Hey! Hi Dave, what a lovely surprize to 'see' you here. Ha, I'll always remember that evening with you on the Gwynt as Pshychic Threshold had had just the one repeat I think from a power-house of a climber called Dave Roberts (?) who got Rowland's two aid points down to one.
I was very comfortable climbing with you coz you were far more experienced than little me with the Union Jack woolly hat. In fact you must've been positively 'old' - like forty or something? Funny to think I'm probably a good ten years older now than you were then. Where does it go Dave?
Da iawn diolch [well done, thanks].

Oh, PS: If you're still around 'dudders and see those Lyon bros I'd love to touch base.
Cheers,
And.
 AP Melbourne 13 Aug 2017
In reply to webbo:

Hi webbo,
Am sure KC will let you know either here or via PM. Good effort hanging on to them all this time.
Cheers,
AP.
Cloggy 15 Aug 2017

Hi Andy, I'm now 70 years of age so you've a bit to go yet, are you still "at it", you are right Dave Roberts freed Nexus direct finish before
Physic so the guy could climb at the highest level. I'll contact Dave Lyons to get his e-mail so you could contact him, is that OK for you, Dave
 AP Melbourne 17 Aug 2017
In reply to Cloggy:

Thanks Dave,
Nah, gave it away in'92.
Cheers,
AP.
 Big Ger 17 Aug 2017

Another cracking interview Mr P.

Must get down to Woolies now.....
lnikj 17 Aug 2017
I have photos of Kim climbing Wellington Crack at Ilkley. I must have been about 15/16 at the time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...