/ Samsung Galaxy S5 16 GB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Timmd on 11 Aug 2017

I've been pondering a secondhand Samsung Galaxy S5, and basically just want it for texting and facebook, and the other kinds of communication which an old phone is behind the times for, like Whatsap and other forms of smart phone communication, and the sharing of pictures.

How have people found it to be as a phone, re being reliability and usability?

Thanks.

Flinticus - on 11 Aug 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Currently using one, for nearly two years. I've not had any problems with it. Been a Samsung Galaxy user for the last 5/6 years. I find it easy to use. Never crashed. Use it in the hills as my GPS and also to listen to radio and play tunes.
Ridge - on 11 Aug 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I'm a big fan of Samsung phones. 16gb might be a bit small for your needs though if you want to carry a lot of photos/music.

Also how much is a second hand S5? Mrs Ridge had my old S2, when that died she got a new J5 which doesn't seem much different from my S6 for most things, plus it takes an SD card to expand the memory. That might be better than a second hand phone.
Fraser on 11 Aug 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I'm still using an old S3 for that stuff so the S5 will be fine. You can always add a micro SD card if you need more storage space. Adding lots of apps might be the issue; mine is 16Gb and it seems okay so far, though I don't use very many aps.
marsbar - on 11 Aug 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Seems fine to me.
Dax H - on 11 Aug 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I'm reading this on an S5 right now. Does everything I need it to do and it gets a lot of stick.
Loads of emails, text documents and spread sheet reading plus Web browsing.
The battery on mine doesn't last a day anymore, more like 6 hours but she is an old girl so that's to be expected.
wbo - on 11 Aug 2017
In reply to Timmd: i guess the question is, for the price, what new phone can you get from a 'leser' brand?

Timmd on 11 Aug 2017
In reply to wbo:
I'll be pondering for ever if I start thinking about that. Argh.

It's a decent phone, it's refurbished. I'm buying it. ;-)
Post edited at 19:49
Dauphin on 11 Aug 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Get something newer. Moto G5plus or a Huwei. Battery life on S5 is a dog, otherwise an excellent phone. Three or four generations on they have turbo charging and last for 11/2 - 2 days with gentle use instead of 1/2 day.

D
Timmd on 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Dauphin:

Do you know anything about the Samsung Galaxy Alpha 32GB phone?
ads.ukclimbing.com
Ridge - on 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> Do you know anything about the Samsung Galaxy Alpha 32GB phone?

Not about the Alpha, but Mrs Ridge has the more budget J5. The comparison between the two is here:

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-J5,Samsung-Galaxy-Alpha/phones/9466,8618

The alpha has the faster processor and is technically the better phone, but the battery is abysmal in comparison to the J5. Mrs Ridge can get a couple of days out of the J5, and even more switching to the 'ultimate battery saver mode' Also the Alpha may have 32Gb of storage, but the J5 takes SD cards to expand the storage.

I'd go for the phone with the biggest battery and the option of external storage rather than fixed battery and internal storage. For what you want most
summo on 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Ridge:

I have a j5, battery life is great even during what might be considered heavy use, cold etc. Technically capable of most things etc..
Stuart (aka brt) - on 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I bought the S4 second-hand. Can't help with the S5 though I thought I'd throw something into the mix. I rooted* my S4 which isn't as daunting as one might first imagine.

There are of course caveats and warnings (disadvantage), but it does open up some options such as ridding the Samsung of unwanted apps (I use Titanium Backup to 'freeze' apps to first see effects of shutting down apps), allowing apps to move to the SD card (advantage) etc.

Extra SD capacity was the big plus for me (I'm running a 128gb card - Google is your friend, it works) followed by replacement battery. I can get a day from a battery with mid - to heavy web browsing use.

Newer phones may have the better spec but I run Copilot sat nav and Anquet map software (both offline, maps on the SD card), have no issues browsing the web or looking at emails etc.
Dauphin on 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Gave up on Samsung after the S5. Spent too much time and money trying to make the batteries last longer than a few hours. I think from the S3 onwards they were/are great phones, just appalling battery life - I'm sure the s7 and s8 are excellent. If they had a small battery attached to the board you could hot swap the batteries which would be fine. Instead we had to wait 2-3 years for them to catch up with the competition.

D
Si dH - on 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Ridge:

> Not about the Alpha, but Mrs Ridge has the more budget J5. The comparison between the two is here:

> The alpha has the faster processor and is technically the better phone, but the battery is abysmal in comparison to the J5. Mrs Ridge can get a couple of days out of the J5, and even more switching to the 'ultimate battery saver mode' Also the Alpha may have 32Gb of storage, but the J5 takes SD cards to expand the storage.

> I'd go for the phone with the biggest battery and the option of external storage rather than fixed battery and internal storage. For what you want most

I have an alpha and absolutely love it, to the extent that I have kept it in preference to afree upgrade to anything it is currently possible to buy that isn't greater than 4.6 inch acreen.
Highly recommended.
Timmd on 12 Aug 2017
In reply to summo:
> I have a j5, battery life is great even during what might be considered heavy use, cold etc. Technically capable of most things etc..

You can find the J5 fairly cheaply refurbished on ebay too, which keeps things vaguely green/er for a smart phone, possibly making one worth a punt, seems like one to think about.
Post edited at 18:00
ByEek on 12 Aug 2017
In reply to summo:

> I have a j5, battery life is great even during what might be considered heavy use, cold etc. Technically capable of most things etc..

Ditto - I too have a J5. £200 brand new from the local dodgy phone shop (I believe you can get cheaper elsewhere) but he threw in a screen protector and cheap case for free. Really impressed. Why have I been spending so much on the high end Samsung range when this seems just as good. It has an SD slot so I can add more storage if required and has two sim slots. Battery life is very impressive. Over night it loses less than 5% battery.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.