UKC

Repeat or Headpoint?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 13 Aug 2017
I realise that it doesn't really matter iota however I'm just after an answer for the sake of historical accuracy. If I'd previously dogged a route (I hate that term) and later went back to clean it up should it be logged as a repeat ascent or a headpoint/redpoint?
Thanks folks for the responses to the can of worms I may have just opened.
 tmawer 13 Aug 2017
In reply to Tigger:

I think it depends on exactly what happened. If you haven't practiced the moves then perhaps it's ground up, but it's all a bit murky. As you say, it doesn't matter but it's fun to think about!
OP Tigger 13 Aug 2017
In reply to tmawer:
In this instance I've previously lead it, fell off at the crux, pulled the ropes and went again for the ground up but peeled off again, didn't have enough left in me to attempt it again so rested on the ropes briefly before climbing to the top. I've since lead the route clean, couldn't really remember the moves but remembered the gear placements quite well.
Post edited at 20:18
 john arran 13 Aug 2017
In reply to Tigger:

Head/redpoint. Repeat implies you've completed it before in a oner, rather than just tried it or dogged it. Definitely not ground up if you've dogged it before.
 climberchristy 13 Aug 2017
In reply to Tigger:

Def redpoint as John arran said
 tmawer 13 Aug 2017
In reply to john arran:

If he had lowered off, rather than resting before completing the route, would that have made his subsequent clean ascent ground up?
OP Tigger 13 Aug 2017
In reply to climberchristy:

We'll that settles it for me, looks like I've got a few amendments to make, thanks folks.
 climberchristy 14 Aug 2017
In reply to tmawer:

Yes
 radddogg 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Tigger:

Sorry but the description to me is ground up. Headpoint implies knowledge of the entire route. In this case he fell twice and lowered off both times. The clean ascent was done with no prior knowledge of the route beyond the previous highpoint and is as such ground up.
 Bulls Crack 14 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

No read the second post: rested then carried on to top
 james.slater 14 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

But he did have knowledge of the entire route before the clean ascent... He fell off the second time (on a ground up attempt) but rather than lower to the ground he carried on after resting on the rope. So when he eventually does a full clean ascent, it would be best described as a redpoint.
 radddogg 14 Aug 2017
In reply to james.slater:

Sorry, just reread it and had missed the bit where he carried on up to the top. So yes, headpoint.
Removed User 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Tigger:

Hi - it's only a headpoint if it is E6 or above. Cheers.
 MischaHY 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Removed User:

Poor effort, 1/10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...