UKC

Red Rocks, Nevada - anyone keen?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 snoop6060 14 Aug 2017
Afternoon,

Long shot this one, but anyone keen to come on a trip to red rocks first 2 weeks of Nov?

This one has been on the list for many years, and I am finally going. Whoop, Whoop. There are 3 of us though. Flights all booked, ideally want to make it a 4. 2 male, 1 female at the moment. Very experienced, very safe, all climb up to the mid Es though I have generally been on bolts recently so am a bit more wobbly than usual on gear. I'm funnier to watch mind. Doubt there will be a great deal of partying in Vegas unfortunately though. I'd imagine there will be ample chance to get partners once there, but figured we may as well see if anyone else is keen.

2 of us are flying from Manchester (£511), the other from Gatwick. I think the plan is try and get a house/apartment of some description, ideally a cheap one.

Let me know if you are keen. Will try supertopo next...

Cheers,
Si
 Martin Bennett 14 Aug 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

I'd have been giving a 3rd trip there serious thought had I not just committed to a Tafraoute trip at the same time. If you haven't found accommodation yet have a look at this. It's where we stayed last time and will again. It's in a great safe neighbourhood just about as near as you can get to the climbing. Have a great trip.
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/14613260
OP snoop6060 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Cheers, Martin. Will check it out .
 Offwidth 14 Aug 2017
In reply to snoop6060:
Best of luck, its a brilliant place: world class for for huge trad, medium trad, shorter trad, sports, bouldering and aid. Mountain Project is maybe best for hooking up with locals if you are short of partners.
Post edited at 13:52
In reply to snoop6060:

If you do go say hi for me to Laura, Jen's Mom who's the local contact.
OP snoop6060 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Offwidth:
> Best of luck, its a brilliant place: world class for for huge trad, medium trad, shorter trad, sports, bouldering and aid. Mountain Project is maybe best for hooking up with locals if you are short of partners.

You mean just like stoney? Well apart from the big trad

It's one area that I've been keen on for years. That and squamish. Squamish did not disappoint so not expecting red rocks to either.

Anyways, if anyone needs any inspiration just pop over to supertopo and see what they have to say about it. Sounds like a whole lot of fun. Good team goin too
Post edited at 16:24
In reply to snoop6060:

Should have said in my previous reply - if you haven't already bought a guide book go for this one: http://www.redrocksguidebook.com/contact-us.html
Generally thought to be streets ahead of the rest and the author is a Brit, or he was when he started out. We had the 1st edition. there's a newer one now. Readily available in Desert Rock Sports which is on the left on the main road out to the crags.
OP snoop6060 15 Aug 2017

Picked up the 2004 guide on here for a tenner, will pick this one up too.

Any idea if this place sells that organic brand of pads? I need a new one so makes sense to buy one there and just pay to fly it back. Won't be doing much bouldering but it might be a handy option.
 Offwidth 15 Aug 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

Contact them direct. http://www.desertrocksportslv.com

Also don't forget you can't climb there for a day or so if it rains. The link below explains and gives local altermative venues but Joshua Tree is by far the most reliable in bad weather, with world class climbing, sport and bouldering making the perfect twin venue, and only a 3 to 4 hour drive south across the Mojave National Park, via Kelso. We have never lbeen stopped from doing at least a few hours climbing in a day there even after a major storm which blocked most roads with flash floods or an overnight dump of a foot of snow. High Desert Inn in JT does the best local motel climbers rates. In the Lost Horse JT campsite you can belay on some routes from a tent!

http://www.southernnevadaclimberscoalition.org/climbing-after-rain/
OP snoop6060 15 Aug 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

Joshua Tree will bruise my ego badly, Eszter is a crack climbing machine and will make me look even worse than usual at Joshua Tree. Not getting burnt off by a girl on holiday .
 Offwidth 15 Aug 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

Don't believe all the brutal grading hype (only some of it is true). If you can climb up to tough E1 on granite slab cracks Lost Horse Wall has no sandbags amongst several softish (very soft for JT) graded 120m cracked slab routes (5.7 to 5.10a). Saddle Rock has a 220m easy VS (a tough 5.6 but friendly for the grade at JT). Plus endless idyllic slabs that are almost sport bolted (just add a grade to what they get given).
 Martin Bennett 15 Aug 2017
In reply to snoop6060:
An option we used on our wet day last time I was there was to drive an hour or so North to Mesquite and climb limestone sport routes at Limekiln Canyon. Added a different dimension to the trip with it's 10 miles of dirt road approach, pleasant approach walk and the European character of the climbing.
We also had a look at Snow Canyon State Park near St George Utah. Didn't climb but what we saw looked good though once again on sandstone so may not be a good wet weather alternative? It's a bit further away and about a 2 hour drive. When you get there you're not so far from Zion - but that's another story!
Both venues are in a guide book you can get in Desert Rock Sports. Have a great trip - I'm really envious now.
Post edited at 11:51
 Offwidth 15 Aug 2017

I should really be more efflusive about such US climbing shops. Small concerns full of genuine expert advice like British shops used to be in the last century. We once spent most of the day in the Idyllwild Nomad Ventures shop chewing the cud of climbing and life in general. Joshua Tree Nomad Ventures is great as well.
 planetmarshall 15 Aug 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

Arsebuckets. Would have done but can't really take the time off when my contract's up at the end of the year anyway. Enjoy, not jealous at all.
OP snoop6060 16 Aug 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

May as well ask! They can only say no. Maybe they will just extend your contract by 2 weeks
 FreshSlate 16 Aug 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

I'm interested. Been at a loose end for my big trip this year since someone bailed off going Yangshuo. Will have to do some research. Time is no problem, have 21 days holiday left till December.
 walts4 16 Aug 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

I'm maybe interested.

What are your exact dates in November?

I have 5 weeks off, realistically able to fly from the 4th Manchester.

Do you have the chance to extend the time spent there over your specified 2 weeks?
OP snoop6060 16 Aug 2017
In reply to walts4:

My flight is 30th oct and returns 14th. Id love to stay longer but work are on my case as i'm paying penance for this trip by goin to kalymnos in Oct for 2 weeks with my gf. Hard life, I know.

Got another person keen too and generally the more merrier. Happy to make a it a 5 or a 6. Drop me a mail.

You'll easily get partners if you wanna stay longer.
 planetmarshall 16 Aug 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

Sent you a PM. Actually considering this now...
 tasp05 30 Aug 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

I'm in Kalymnos the same time as you I think, 23rd Oct for a week or 2. My partner(s) are abandoning me though after the 1st week. Wish I could come to Red Rock after but already have plans for those Nov weeks!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...