UKC

Sandstone Trail in a Day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinturner 15 Aug 2017
Competed this today... Frodsham to Whitchurch walk, 34miles through Cheshire and into Shropshire.

With two 'Angry Cow' diversions, ended up finishing 35.1mile and 12hrs51. Pretty pleased with myself, but I have no previous to compare it to, so happy just to complete it!

I found I hit my limit at around 28mile, and it was just my feet that gave up! More down to the fact I wasn't wearing walking socks (stupid I know!), but happy my legs and fitness was good.

The last 7mile was pure hell, and NOW, the legs have suddenly seized!

Any advice for the following day? Want to get back to normal asap, but haven't got too much experience with long'er distance walking

Cheers
 eschaton 16 Aug 2017
In reply to martinturner:

Run the shower as cold as you can stand it all over your legs, feet, bum and hips, then do the same with warm but not hot water. Keep hydrated and stretch off if you haven't already done so.

Well done what was the weather like for you?
 steveriley 16 Aug 2017

Good effort, I've done it a few times - felt obliged as it almost goes past my house. If you liked the terrain and fancy doing it again there's an event each May organised by my club for runners and walkers - guaranteed food every 5 or 6 miles, friendly faces and a pie at the end - https://www.helsbyrunningclub.org.uk/sandstone-intro.htm

I'd keep moving today and eat and drink well. Maybe another walk or swim if you can?
OP martinturner 16 Aug 2017
Thanks for the replies guys!

Today I got up and moving, got to the gym and did abit of upper body work, then walked up and down the pool for 15minutes to loosen my left hamstring. Did another 15minutes in the sauna and a nice cold shower.
Seems to have loosened up quite nicely for the moment, so thanks for the advice!

In regards doing it again, I haven't even thought about it haha! In the most part I enjoyed it (apart from the foot pain), but just the killer cows were the only downside! Having to jump over streams to avoid them wasn't great haha.

Weather was perfect too... 22degrees, slight breeze and perfect sun all day! Couldn't of planned any better!

But thanks for the advice, really appreciate it!
Post edited at 13:36
 Pbob 16 Aug 2017

Me and a mate did the whole trail one hot summers day when we were 16. I was breaking in a new pair of boots so a few blisters but generally went fine. We started in Whitchurch aiming to finish at my parents place in Frodsham. Everything was fine until we reached Frodsham. Then my legs gave up completely. After walking 30 odd miles I had to phone my mum from the phone box about 200 yards away to get a lift home! Even I found it funny. A brilliant day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...