UKC

3 Day walk in The Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinturner 18 Aug 2017
So I'm looking to go on a 3 day walk in the lakes next week/weekend. I'm taking the 11month Spaniel, and will be self supported for the full 3 days.

We don't really want to do more than about 10mile per day, if it's taking in a fair hundred metres of elevation, and would like a Campsite to camp in for each night.

Any reccomendations?
I've looked at the Cumbrian Way, but we'd like something abit less low-level and Cow'y haha.

Thanks
 Jon Stewart 18 Aug 2017
In reply to martinturner:

It was me, I'd just do 3 days of the best walking with the least boring bits and camping at the best spots. There are loads of ways you could do this, this is just made up off the top of my head and assuming you want to start and finish at some public transport.

Get to Patterdale from Penrith, there's presumably a bus. Walk up Striding Edge, over Helvelyn and Fairfield, down to Grasmere and get yourself somewhere up the top of Easdale or Far Easdale to camp (haven't camped there myself).

Over the Langdale Pikes, Esk Pike, Scafell Pike and down into Upper Eskdale to camp.

Across and up to Crinkle Crags, down to Wrynose, up Great Carrs and along the ridge to the Old Man to end in Coniston.

My only reservation about this route is that while you take in a lot of the best hills, you're missing the Gable and Pillar area which is probably the best bit of the Lakes. Also, this includes the fairly horrible walk to Scafell Pike from Esk Hause - so this route could definitely be much improved with a bit more thought. But this is the kind of thing I'd do rather than something linear or sign-posted.
 Ramblin dave 18 Aug 2017

Are you after valley campsites with toilet blocks and the whole shebang, or just nice bits of flat ground out in the wild?

I suspect that at this time of year at short notice, finding campsites that you don't have to book might be a major limiting factor...
 Tom the tall 19 Aug 2017

Good campsites in the valleys are at Keswick, Borrowdale, Buttermere, Wasdale, Langdale, Patterdale/Glenridding. I'd go for Keswick to Buttermere day 1, either via cat bells, high spy, dale head, robinson, or barrow, oughterside, sail, crag hill, whiteless pike. Syke farm Campsite, then day 2 over to NT site at Wasdale, perhaps reversing most of Bob Graham leg 4. Day 3 would then take me over Scafell Pike, Great end, and as many of the Langdale pikes as you fancy before dropping down on the Coast to coast route to Stonethwaite and a bus back to Keswick.
Gives you plenty of escape routes or ways to reduce the effort, and would take in some great terrain.
OP martinturner 20 Aug 2017

Some great ideas, thankyou!

I'm after a Campsite really, toilets and water, nothing too fancy. Not a major fan of wild camping in this country.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...