UKC

Terra Nova Ultra Quasar Problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chasyd 19 Aug 2017
I dug out my Ultra Quasar the other day which hasn't been touched for around five years when I leant it to a friend and discovered to my dismay that the inside has a some kind of damage. Not sure whether iuts some form of mold or some coating coming off? Any ideas if I can save it?

Picture of damage - https://ibb.co/ip9dCQ
 Tigger 19 Aug 2017
In reply to chasyd:
Is that picture of the inner side of the outer/fly? If so it looks like its delaminating. You could maybe try you're luck contacting the manufacturer, unfortunately I don't think there's a cure.
Post edited at 11:34
chasyd 19 Aug 2017
In reply to Tigger:

Its the floor of the inner tent
chasyd 19 Aug 2017
In reply to Tigger:

Cheers
I'll give it a try, failing that I'll have to bite the bullet and ask the wife if I'm allowed to buy a new inner tent!
 Welsh Kate 19 Aug 2017
In reply to chasyd:

Delaminating. Hard luck. You could use a groundsheet protector to maintain waterproofness inside, or cut it out and do a self-repair. Personally I'd sent it off to Lancashire Sports Repairs or Scottish Mountain Gear to see if they can replace your groundsheet with something decent - and whether that would be an economical repair.
 Pedro50 19 Aug 2017
In reply to chasyd:
Could you not just buy a footprint ground sheet?
Post edited at 11:48
chasyd 19 Aug 2017
In reply to Tigger:

I'm going to ring Terra Nova on Monday and see if its something they repair. Worst case scenario I can see if they'll trade the tent in, the website says they'll give me 30% for it.
 danm 19 Aug 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

A footprint is little use when water is driven by wind or gravity under the flysheet.
 gethin_allen 19 Aug 2017
In reply to chasyd:

If you are or know someone who is handy with a sewing machine it would be a very cheap and easy job to replace the groundsheet. You can buy the fabric from point north.
chasyd 19 Aug 2017
I've emailed terra nova to ask about repairs or the trade in deal. It'll be sad to see it go if thats the case.
 Dave B 19 Aug 2017
In reply to chasyd:

Had my floor replaced about 15 years ago by TN. So going strong, but other parts now starting to fail. if you get that extra time out if it, it's be with it, but mine was about 10 years old when I did the floor. Is now 25 ish, and doesn't owe me anything
In reply to Dave B:

Send it to SMG fantastic job they did on my old Trango 2
Replaced the Groundsheet with a Heavy Duty one for about £90
Brilliant Job returned within 10 days
 Andy Manthorpe 19 Aug 2017
In reply to chasyd:
I've recently repaired a groundsheet in similar condition. I took equal volumes of silicon rubber sealant and white spirit, mixed well, and painted it on to the base of the groundsheet (the outside). It increased the weight a little, but is now waterproof again.

Allow plenty of time for the white spirit to evaporate. Days not hours !
Post edited at 20:02
chasyd 20 Aug 2017
Cheers for all the replies and advice.
I'm thinking SMG looks like the most likely option although I'll see if TN reply tomorow first.

How long do we think it may take for SMG to repair? I was planning on starting the Pennine Way by the end of September although obviously thats now likely to be delayed.

chasyd 26 Aug 2017
I've sent it to SMG for a new ground sheet. £95 and should be done within three weeks. Thanks for the advice!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...