UKC

More Tips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 19 Aug 2017
Does anyone know how to stop the rubber tips for trekking poles coming adrift? I do wonder sometimes whether there are countless numbers of the things that have been swallowed up by bogs or stuck for eternity is some inaccessible crevice in a boulder field somewhere.

The other weekend I lost both within a few hours. Grrrrr.
 balmybaldwin 19 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I would try some kind of glue with some flex in it
OP mypyrex 19 Aug 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> I would try some kind of glue with some flex in it

Yes, wondered about that. On the basis that I tend to leave mine on for all terrain I suppose it doesn't matter if you can't get them off deliberately.
 jon 19 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Don't use them. They're completely unnecessary.
 Jenny C 19 Aug 2017
In reply to jon:

I have a massive collection that I have picked up over the years. Personally only use them when packing poles to protect other things from damage, never found them any benefit from using them amen actually walking.
OP mypyrex 19 Aug 2017
In reply to jon:
> Don't use them. They're completely unnecessary.

But I always believed that the idea of the rubbers was so that the (metal) tip would not slip on stones and to minimise wear.
Post edited at 19:10
 jezb1 19 Aug 2017
In reply to jon:

This.

On decent poles the metal tips are super tough and don't slip.
 Billhook 19 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Ever herd of a pole 'wearing' out?
 Timmd 20 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
> But I always believed that the idea of the rubbers was so that the (metal) tip would not slip on stones and to minimise wear.

Can't you get replacement pole tips on decent poles, possibly making wear less of a concern?
Post edited at 03:14
 Sharp 20 Aug 2017
In reply to jon:

People use rubber tips to minimise the erosion caused by walking poles , not the end of the world and most of the damage will presumably be done to already heavily worn areas of high traffic and popular paths but completely unecessary is a bit harsh. There was an article in the Scottish Mountaineer about it a few years ago.

To the op: if you don't want to glue them then either duct tape them on or try wrapping a bit of self amalgamating tape around the plastic part of the tip before putting them on. Depending on how tapered the end of your pole is and how long your rubber tip is a jubilee clip might help hold them on but you'll have to tape over that too to stop it ripping your trousers.
Post edited at 07:45
 MG 20 Aug 2017
In reply to Sharp:

I never even realised they were intended to be used while walking! Assumed they were just to protect rucksacks or whatever (and threw them out).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...