UKC

Zinal to Moiry.Col de La Le.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 20 Aug 2017
I am joining my friends on part of the walker's Haute Route in reverse direction.
On one of the days they are going from Zinal to Evolene, which is combining what appears in the book as two days.(Zinal to Cabane de Moiry or similar and then from there to La Sage, whereas Evolene is a bit further) I presume that they are going by Col de Sorebois, and Col de Torrent, and may use the ski lift to speed up their efforts.
I was looking at this slightly differently and thought that I would look at going via the Col de La Le. So I looked in the Valais Alps West guide for this, but could only find information about the peak, not the Col.
So is this Col easily negotiable and easily navigated, or is that why it is not mentioned?
I am happy doing Alpine stuff, but will otherwise not be taking crampons for this walk, nor will I have rope etc. In fact I may end up doing it on my own. I am happy with that, but do not want to end up somewhere that I would be best abseiling without a rope etc.
Why look at this? Well on the map it looks a bit more interesting, and it would lead into the other Col on the next ridge(Col du Tsate)
I obviously do not want to bite off more than I can chew time-wise, so that is a matter to decide about too.
 EwanR 20 Aug 2017
In reply to veteye:

Descending the west side of the Col de la Lé is easy enough - it's the normal way off after traversing the Aiguilles de la Lé. The problem is on the east side which is very loose and in the current Swiss alpine club guide they no longer describe the way up from the east as it's too exposed to stonefall.

Even in the old guide it doesn't sound very appealing: "The gully clearly separates the gneiss to the south from the schists to the north and is dangerous due to frequent stonefall".

Ewan
OP veteye 20 Aug 2017
In reply to EwanR:

Thank you for that. Really useful information. I wonder if anyone has been up there very early in the morning? Or does the ice not keep it all together? Too low down I suppose.
I will have to go with my friends or consider doing a peak to get further along to the south.
 deugar 21 Aug 2017
In reply to veteye:

Sasseneire is worth taking in if you stick with the Col de Torrent route. Long time since I was up but think it made for a good trekking peak (not south, but good views)
OP veteye 24 Aug 2017
In reply to deugar:

Just seen your reply.
Thank you for the information.
I also wondered about the Garde de Bordon, but I could not find anything in the Lindsay Griffin guides.
It looks as if you could slog up straight from Zinal up a couloir with a stream, and thereby get onto the north northwest ridge. After that either traverse across to the aforementioned Col de La Le, or come some way down the south west ridge, peeling off down either side before the end.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...