UKC

Paper vs plastic vs cloth maps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Amos 20 Aug 2017
I picked up a 1950s map in a charity shop today which from the colour of it looked like it had been well used. Despite this it the map had no holes at the joints or folds.

Comparing this to my OS maps which have holes after a few years use, and a recent plastic map I had, which is now unreadable on all the folds.

Why after centuries of producing maps are there no durable alternatives (apart from printing your own and laminating them)? And for curiosities sake, when and why did cloth maps die out?
 Trangia 20 Aug 2017
In reply to Matt Amos:

> And for curiosities sake, when and why did cloth maps die out?

My family has a silk map of the Western Desert, and a silk map of Germany and Northern France which were issued to RAF aircrew during the War and formed part of their evasion and survival kit in the event of being shot down. They belonged to my father who flew as a pilot in both those War theatres. They are coloured and to scale.

neuromancer 20 Aug 2017
In reply to Matt Amos:

Because we invented map cases?
 cragtyke 20 Aug 2017
In reply to Matt Amos:

The AZ adventure series books using the OS 1:25000 maps are very well designed when it comes to the problem of folds, there's an overlap at the edge of each page, and a gap down the centrefold so no detail is lost due to the binding, the fold over "bookmarks" of the covers make finding the right pages easy as well. Obviously they're best suited to use in the field rather than plotting routes over long distances, or for taking bearings from distant peaks.
 John Kelly 20 Aug 2017
In reply to Matt Amos:
2017 Dolomites, 'Tobaccomapp', 1in25000, £10 - lasted 7 days
Now liberally sellotaped, still worth it.

Dads cloth 1960's maps still grafting
Post edited at 22:43
 Lurking Dave 21 Aug 2017
In reply to Matt Amos:

Kiwi MTBs know how to do it, a "manky map" combination of map, cleaning of sunnies and wiping a sweaty brow... http://redwoods.co.nz/info/recreation-guidemaps/

Cheers
LD
 Pedro50 21 Aug 2017
In reply to Matt Amos:

Harvey maps are excellent and cover most popular recreational areas. They survive being folded differently as required.
 BnB 21 Aug 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

> Harvey maps are excellent and cover most popular recreational areas. They survive being folded differently as required.

Mine haven't. They're in tatters
cb294 21 Aug 2017
In reply to Matt Amos:

The Swedish Lantmäteriets Fjällkartan used to be printed on normal paper, so it was better to laminate the maps before use. Now they print them on some plastic like, waterproof and rip resistant material, a genuine improvement.

CB
 john arran 21 Aug 2017
In reply to cb294:

I wonder if it's just for cost reasons that they don't use similar 'paper' to that of modern bank notes?

The cynic in me wonders whether the maps would no longer then have such built-in obsolescence.
thanks info..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...