UKC

Future GC Contenders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GravitySucks 21 Aug 2017
Watching the Vuelta I cant help feeling that we are at a 'changing of the guard' moment. Contador is retiring (again), Valverdi has had a good year until the big crash but is getting on, likewise Porte, Aru never quite seems to deliver, 'close but no cigar', Nibali has not quite been at his best although we will see if fresh legs from sitting out the tour may see a return to form and Quintana seems to be going backwards Even Froome is no spring chicken and may only have a couple of years left at the top.

Perhaps the cycling cognesenti could enlighten me as to the future GC contenders in the grand tours, the obvious contenders are the likes of Dumoulin, Chaves, Bardet, Yates Bros, Landa, Martin, but who are the ones that I have never heard of and any British dark horses out there (Yates's obvs) ?
 Chris the Tall 21 Aug 2017
In reply to GravitySucks:

Always hard to tell who will make it to the top - someone like Barguil or Pinot may have the talent but possibly not the mentality to cope with the pressure of GC and are happier going for stages.

3 other names that you didn't mention would be Julian Alaphilippe, Bob Jungels and Louis Meinjies (sp). The first 2 are both on Quick step, both on the vuelta and I would be suprised if one of them - probably Jungels - takes the race lead today.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...