UKC

Argentiere Glacier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dugg 22 Aug 2017
Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help. I'm planning on walking from the cable car at Lognan to the Argentiere refuge via the Argentier glacier.

I've heard the crevasse are difficult to navigate along this route. Is there a particular section of this crevasse field that is easy to navigate? Just met two people who got shut down by it after spending a few hours trying to get through.

Cheers
 NottsRich 22 Aug 2017
In reply to Dugg:
Any use?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Argenti%C3%A8re+Glacier/@45.9558396,6.9...

Obviously not current, but the positions of more/less crevassed regions will be similar.
Post edited at 13:54
 Webster 22 Aug 2017
In reply to Dugg:

I remember from about 5 years ago that the crevasse field about half way along where the glacier goes over a small steepening was indeed a bit of a nightmare, so likely worse now! there is a route bypassing this section up on the rocks and morane on the aguille vert side of the glacier, complete with ladders and chains etc which was easy to find on the way down but completely missed it on the way up! there is probably a big red/orange/yellow dot painted on the rock somewhere to indicate its start, but even if you manage to spot it, the glacier will have receeded significantly since it was painted!
 funalps 22 Aug 2017
In reply to Dugg:

Hi Dugg, Just got back from the Argentiere hut about an hour OK.
The easiest way to the hut is still by Grand Montets. There is a fixed rope around the initial bergschrund. No problem.
On descending from there keep to the left of the rognon until it is possible to go right an over a little crest of rock to descend the rubble on the other side to where it joins the "yellow" marked return path just before the main glacier.
Go up the right side, (true left bank) until about 50 to 100m before the level of the hut. Traverse horizontally across the glacier to the moraine, (red poles on the moraine.) Cross the moraine to pick up the path which traverses up to the hut. This way you should avoid all the crevasses.

Expect a very warm welcome and excellent food from Bea and Fred.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...