UKC

Mountain biking around Ilkley?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 22 Aug 2017
So, it seems I will be in Ilkley this weekend visiting wife's friend and family.

As the lone guy in this party, I will be bringing mountain bike and escaping the ladies and daughters for a few hours (I need the training, anyway) and was wondering where the best place to go for some cross country biking is?

Not sure yet whether I will have use of the car, or whether I'll need to start/finish in Ilkley.

Any advice appreciated - it's not part of the country I'm familiar with.

Thanx in advance,
 lpretro1 22 Aug 2017
In reply to LastBoyScout:

There are loads of natural trails from Ilkley - just get hold of a local OS map and go ride - nice routes around Chevin and up on't moors in both directions
 Exile 22 Aug 2017

Head out of Ilkley south up to Weststone Gate on Rombalds Moor. Just befor the gate on the top turn left onto the paved path. Follow this until you pass the trig point and come out on the main path that runs from Ilkley to the 12 Apostles stones (very obvious when you hit it.) Turn left on this and head back towards Ilkley. When you get to a main stream crossing where you will almost certainly need to get off cross the stream and follow the smaller path that follows it's far bank. You come down to a point where you turn right to cross this stream(rideable in a trials fashion) where a main path comes in from the left. Cross the stream as detailed and follow one of the paths to Ilkley Quarry. Ride down to the Cafe. Turn left into the car park extension in fron of the cafe (from the direction you are coming) and follow the path that heads back towards Ilkley parallel to the road. At a junction in this take the right fork.

This sounds convoluted but works as you ride it. The single track from the cafe down to Ilkley is ace so don't miss it out!

alisonk 23 Aug 2017

Or if you don't want to contend with all the walkers around Cow and Calf on a bank holiday then go up the other side to Denton Moor. There is a permissive bridleway which links up with a nice little bit of red singletrack down towards Timble and then can loop back around. https://www.strava.com/activities/1028609589 is the short version
https://www.strava.com/activities/1011582455 is a much longer loop but has the extension from the one above to carry on over Denton moor and pop out at Nesfield. Have a look on the OS map and there are some blobs which show other bridleways crossing to the A59 so there are a couple of alternatives.

The other good route is https://www.strava.com/activities/814080225 which can be made better by going up Flasby Fell instead of the long drag from Skipton to Cracoe on the road.
 Nevis-the-cat 23 Aug 2017
In reply to alisonk:

What Alison said. Up over Denton, across to Beamsley Beacon is a good one and back down is a good one. The route should be found via Google you might see reference to Concrete Square, as it is locally known (it's also a popular run ).

Ilkley Moor could be a bit boggy.

While you're on Denton Moor, keep any eye for a pair of bastards who've been filmed disturbing and shooting marsh harriers
OP LastBoyScout 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:
Thanks, all - looks fun.

Anyone around for a ride either Sat or Sun - not sure which day I'll manage to get out.
Post edited at 12:31

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...