UKC

Johnny Dawes 3 Second Holiday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 radddogg 22 Aug 2017
Looking at the logbook for Wombat (E2 5b) someone referred to taking a "Johnny Dawes 3 Second Holiday" before committing to the roof.

Anyone have any idea what this means? I don't remember it from his book (doesn't mean it isn't mentioned!).
 balmybaldwin 22 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Probably just rest for a few seconds to settle yourself. Alternatively it could be put your mind somewhere else to distract from what you are actually doing. e.g. "Ooh I've got soo much ironing to do" as you wander on above sketchy gear and a potential ground fall
Clauso 22 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

It refers to the fact that Dawes always goes on holiday with 3 belayers. Whether he's climbing, or not... He once even took them on a boating holiday on the Norfolk Broads.

It's a superstition thing, apparently.
 DerwentDiluted 22 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Reminds me of Blackadders generosity to Baldrick

"You have done sterling work Baldrick, and deserve a short holiday"
"Aaw thank you very much Mr B"
"Did you enjoy it?"
OP radddogg 26 Aug 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

For anyone interested balmybaldwin was closest. I messaged Johnny and being a good egg he replied. "You focus on something else entirely then return. The situation is transformed in the mind. Thanks for your positive vibes. Hope you're well"
 FactorXXX 26 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

For anyone interested balmybaldwin was closest. I messaged Johnny and being a good egg he replied. "You focus on something else entirely then return. The situation is transformed in the mind. Thanks for your positive vibes. Hope you're well"

Wouldn't it have been better to message the person that made the comment as opposed to the person that the comment was about?
 C Witter 08 Sep 2017
In reply to Clauso:

Nothing superstitious about it - have you seen his belayers? *low whistle* If I had seconds like that, I might go back for thirds...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...