UKC

What to Wear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 23 Aug 2017

Just interested to know what others pack in their sacks for, say, a two week hut to hut walking trip.

I'm just putting my stuff together for the TMB next week and thus far I've got three base layer tee-shirts, three pairs of socks, three pairs of underpants, two fleeces, one pair of gloves, a pair of shorts, a Paramo jacket plus, of course, a sheet sleeping bag and things like head torch, camera, power bank, compass, toiletries and maps. NO hut shoes.

I shall also take an "overnight bag" with clean clothes to be left in Cham.

Mrs is going away for four days at the same time but can guarantee her bag will be twice the size and weight of mine.

Interested to know what others take.
Post edited at 17:57
 Greenbanks 23 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Mainly Vera Wang, with the odd Stella McCartney thrown in...
OP mypyrex 23 Aug 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Whatever turns you on!!!
 Greenbanks 23 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Shit. I've been rumbled...
In reply to mypyrex:

Sun hat (and sunglasses and sun block/lip block).

Ditch one of the fleeces, unless they're significantly different weights. If one is heavyweight, consider a lightweight downie instead.

Take a windshirt, and use for versatile layering.

I'm assuming the logic of the threes is 'wear one, wash one, one spare/night'?

As in another thread, I used my phone for mapping, running OruxMaps with downloaded OpenTopoMap of the area. The paths were accurately mapped (and route plotted from IGN paper maps). But we stayed in hotels or fancier refuges, so had access to charge every night. This allowed me to have the GPS on all the time and log the routes. More judicious use of GPS should let you get away without needing to charge every day.

We also 'cheated' and had overnight bags carried between stops...
OP mypyrex 23 Aug 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

Thanks for that reminder:

> Sun hat (and sunglasses and sun block/lip block).
Checked

> Take a windshirt, and use for versatile layering.
Not come across those before

> I'm assuming the logic of the threes is 'wear one, wash one, one spare/night'?
That's it

> As in another thread, I used my phone for mapping, running OruxMaps with downloaded OpenTopoMap of the area. The paths were accurately mapped (and route plotted from IGN paper maps). But we stayed in hotels or fancier refuges, so had access to charge every night. This allowed me to have the GPS on all the time and log the routes. More judicious use of GPS should let you get away without needing to charge every day.

I recently bought an Anker power bank which seems pretty good. I've got a night in a hotel in Courmayeur(night 5) and another in La Fouly(night 8) and an auberge on night 10 so I'm hopeful about being able to keep things charged up

MG 23 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I'd take thin and thick gloves, possibly. Probably only 2 tops etc., and for TMB altitudes, just one (thickish) fleece. Paramo is heavy. Do you have a lighter waterproof?
OP mypyrex 23 Aug 2017
In reply to MG:

> I'd take thin and thick gloves, possibly. Probably only 2 tops etc., and for TMB altitudes, just one (thickish) fleece. Paramo is heavy. Do you have a lighter waterproof?

Outer gloves and silk inners. I was planning to take the Paramo in lieu of a waterproof and a bog standard windproof.
In reply to mypyrex:

> Not come across those before

The one piece of clothing I would recommend to anyone who hasn't got one. Lightweight (sub 100g), compact (small apple) Pertex or similar shell.

An essential piece of a versatile, five-layer clothing system.

base
mid (fleece)
wind shell
waterproof shell
warmth overlayer

Give me a moment and I'll dig out a thread with rationale. [edit] here:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=377801&v=1#x5471096

Courmayeur? Hopefully, the Bouton d'Or. Lovely hotel, with great drying facilities and the most accommodating staff you will find. And the breakfast? Incredible.
Post edited at 19:41
 FactorXXX 23 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Whatever you do, make sure it's not a nurses uniform and stockings...
In reply to mypyrex:

> I was planning to take the Paramo in lieu of a waterproof and a bog standard windproof.

Ah; you do know about windproof/windshirt. I thought a bit unlikely you wouldn't...

Oh yes. Shoes will be useful... All my companions wore boots, but I was very happy with the La Sportiva TX4 shoes I bought for the trip (and wore only once before going). No blisters, no trail fatigue on the sole of my feet, and great grip. Pretty water resistant, too, even on the day of non-stop rain.
OP mypyrex 23 Aug 2017

> Courmayeur? Hopefully, the Bouton d'Or. Lovely hotel, with great drying facilities and the most accommodating staff you will find. And the breakfast? Incredible.

That looks a great place with atmosphere. I am presently booked into a place at La Palud but I can cancel up until Friday without charge, so...

In reply to mypyrex:

Right by the tourist office and bus stop, too. And nice restaurant nearby...

We arrived early, and soaking wet, having set off early from the Mottets Refuge to avoid forecast thunderstorms (greeted on way to breakfast by seeing a bloody great bolt of lightning hit the mountain behind, with an orange ball of heat...). The little sign on reception said 'check in 3pm', but they had all but one of our rooms ready, and got the last one ready very quickly, and got tea for us.

My friend said to one of the staff how welcoming the owners were, and the instant reply was 'yeah, they're awesome'. When leaving, I was a couple of minutes behind, and my mates got reception to ring my room to check. When I came down, the owner was waiting to take my key, and tell me where my friends were, clearly wanting to make sure everything was okay. Above and beyond, IMHO. If you do switch, I hope you find the same.

The girls in the Mottets refuge were great, too. We'd had a long day (23k, 1750m ascent), and I went on ahead to make sure they knew we were coming (I'd had a great day, and was still feeling full of beans). We got there just before 7pm dinner, and we were a bit anxious, but they quickly put our minds at rest, and said to get dinner, and they'd sort out the accommodation later. I thanked Isobel later for their lovely, friendly welcome.
OP mypyrex 23 Aug 2017

Thanks for interesting info. I'm doing Les Mottets to Courmayeur over two days(via Combal)
 plyometrics 23 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Compeed and / or zinc oxide tape.

Penknife / scissors.

Whistle to accompany compass.

And don't forget pain killers and any other tablets you may regularly have to rely on.

In reply to mypyrex:

We had to cheat and take a bus, and do it in one day, finishing in La Visaille. Didn't have the luxury of two weeks.
OP mypyrex 23 Aug 2017
In reply to MG:
> Paramo is heavy. Do you have a lighter waterproof?

My Paramo Alta jacket is lighter(0.3lb) than my waterproof(ME) jacket and my TNF windproof.
Post edited at 20:57
 MG 23 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
Fair enough- your call. I see 800g online (who the hell uses lb!!), which is lot for a waterproof.
Post edited at 21:24
 robert-hutton 23 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Ear plugs, emergency bag, buff, light weight waterproof top and trousers, phone numbers of all refuges as you might need to rearrange, sweets or something salty as snacks, elastic knee bandage, plastic bags to put dry clothes if wet.

Ditch the power pack as most refuges have power to use but take the Swiss adapter as different from french side, never taken gloves but that's up to you.

Remember that it's a long way to carry bulky stuff do lighter the better, I have only taken one fleece, you haven't added a pair of trousers for evening.
OP mypyrex 23 Aug 2017
In reply to MG:

> Fair enough- your call. I see 800g online (who the hell uses lb!!), which is lot for a waterproof.

Fair comment but by using a Paramo I assume I'm going to be carrying(either wearing or in sack) one garment weighing X grams(I'll defer to you) rather than two garments weighing X plus y grams(if you see my logic)
 birdie num num 23 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I normally cut the underpants down to one pair.
 Blue Straggler 23 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
You have said nothing about wanting to travel more lightweight and you haven't actually asked for advice, but as everyone else seems to making certain assumptions, I'll join in.

I would dump one T shirt, and the shorts. Possibly also dump one pair of pants.

Do your toiletries include a flannel? Dump it.

Do your toiletries include anything that will last well beyond the trip? Replace with more lightweight. Get the tiniest deodorant you can find. Take an almost-used up tube of toothpaste. 30ml will be more than adequate i.e. half of the smallest you can generally buy. Decant any "shower gel" or similar, into a small receptacle (or ditch it altogether - anywhere there is a shower there will be leftover soap etc). Presumably if there is a towel it'll be one of those ultra lightweight one.
Post edited at 23:33
 Blue Straggler 23 Aug 2017
In reply to birdie num num:

You ain't coming near my pair, with those scissors!
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Do your toiletries include a flannel?

I'd say a flannel is a multi-purpose mini-towel that any hoopy frood should have in their pack.

It reduces the amount of shower gel you need to use.
It can be used to dry yourself instead of a towel (wipe, wring, repeat). No need for a towel.
It can be used to clear up spills.
At a pinch, it can be used to evade the ravenous bugblatter beast of Traal, by covering the eyes...
Post edited at 00:18
 FactorXXX 24 Aug 2017
In reply to birdie num num:

I normally cut the underpants down to one pair.

I assume that you turn them inside out at some stage of the trip?
 Big Ger 24 Aug 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

and back to front!
 FactorXXX 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

and back to front!

Obviously, the Brown/Yellow switch over is common practice amongst multi day pant wearers.
OP mypyrex 24 Aug 2017

Managed to book into the Bouton d'Or. They certainly sound very friendly and helpful. Spoke excellent English.
A more convenient situation than La Palud. Thanks for the recommendation.
 Mark Bannan 24 Aug 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> I normally cut the underpants down to one pair.

> I assume that you turn them inside out at some stage of the trip?

If there are any "passages delicats" - i.e. exposed sections of the route (big drops, not the other kind of exposure!), maybe 3 pairs of kex is not enough!

IIRC, there is such a "passage delicat" on the walk into the refuge below Balaitous in the Pyrenees.

M
OP mypyrex 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Mark Bannan:

> IIRC, there is such a "passage delicat" on the walk into the refuge below Balaitous in the Pyrenees.

The Passage d'Orteig
 Andy Hardy 24 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

[•••]

> Mrs is going away for four days at the same time but can guarantee her bag will be twice the size and weight of mine.

I take it she's carrying a *lot* of Chanel No. 5?

In reply to mypyrex:

> Managed to book into the Bouton d'Or.

I hope it lives up to my hype for you. I'm more than happy to recommend it, because I thought they deserved it.
 Mark Bannan 24 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> The Passage d'Orteig

Cheers! I remember it well in 1997. It had a fixed wire (we feared that it wouldn't!), so for me, the approach was more trouser-filling than the actual exposed bit!

M

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...