UKC

INTERVIEW: Niall McNair & Requiem - Persistence of Vision

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 25 Aug 2017
Niall scopes out the next section, 4 kbScottish climber Niall McNair recently made the third ground-up ascent of Requiem E8 6c at Dumbarton Rock, near Glasgow. Although not strictly newsworthy, Niall's story of grit and determination is worth sharing: his successful ascent was the result of a twenty-year dream and four years of trial and error.

To put Niall's commitment to the line into perspective and to celebrate his achievement, we interviewed some of the people who have witnessed his 'persistence of vision' - coincidentally the name of a classic 7a+ leading into Requiem - and his inspiring journey to latching the finishing hold, before speaking to the man himself...

Read more
 mav 25 Aug 2017
In reply to UKC Articles:

Didn't know Niall had done it. Great news. Massive congratulations. (to Iain too, obviously).
 TobyA 25 Aug 2017

Great Article. Well done to Niall and Iain. It is a "King Line" indeed.

Did I see some cheeky crack glove action going on in those photos too? Excellent, I will use it as evidence of the general coolness of crack gloves in my upcoming article on them!
 Wee Davie 25 Aug 2017

Yeah, I enjoyed it too. Natalie Berry's putting some excellent articles out for the site- well done. I remember being blown away by Dumby the first time I saw it, particularly that face. Nice to see Cubby getting a chance to explain his side of the story. I'd no idea of how he came to do the FA and what a line to leave his mark with! I'd be amazed and delighted if it was onsighted.
 ericinbristol 25 Aug 2017
'Ned' is not an affectionate term
Post edited at 22:40
 Michael Gordon 26 Aug 2017
In reply to ericinbristol:

No, it is however often an accurate one!
 ericinbristol 26 Aug 2017
In reply to Michael Gordon:
Agreed! Having grown up in Glasgow and been to Dumbarton numerous times as as child and adult, Neds can be frightening thugs. It's weird to see them romanticised in this piece.
Post edited at 08:43
In reply to ericinbristol:
There was a hint of sarcasm in the use of affectionate, which possibly worked better when I had '(Non-Educated Delinquent)' in parenthesis after neds. I removed it after I realised it's actually a backronym and isn't the nicest of terms to be using these days.

I would argue that the majority of neds - mostly kids - who were/are hanging out at Dumby weren't dangerous thugs. I also grew up in Glasgow and the people termed 'neds' at my school were some of the funniest and most down-to-earth people in our year. Some were uninterested academically and occasionally disruptive in class, but they were never causing issues with bullying other kids and were harmless. Any trouble seemed to happen outside of school or amongst themselves in petty fights. I'm not saying all neds aren't thuggish and dangerous, but I certainly learned not to judge kids in trackies and Mera Peaks too quickly!

The film below is a good example of the kids who hung around Dumby. As the narrator says, they share more in common with climbers than people might think - it's just that they likely haven't had the same start in life and opportunities. This is why Niall's work with Urban Uprising is so important.

youtube.com/watch?v=YVpioikyPKM& (kids are featured at 13:09)
Post edited at 10:16
 ericinbristol 26 Aug 2017
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:
I agree that most neds aren't dangerous thugs. Your statement in the piece that ned is a term of affection is plain wrong, as you accept in your response to me - that was my point. You say that there is a hint of sarcasm: I did not pick that up from the original. To the extent that you really were being sarcastic about ned being a term of affection I agree.
Post edited at 10:25

Hang on, I was down Dumby the other day there and a group of young guys f*cking trashed the place. Litter, broken glass and cans were being flung into the river and around the sport routes after being consumed. Around 30 cans of cider and 4 bottles of Buckfast.

90% of the time they are completely fine, however some do still live up to the name. If you're going to behave treat the place like that then the term non educated delinquent is highly accurate.

I take my bbq down there sometimes and have my dinner down there. I don't want to have to out up with that shit while Im doing that. Totally antisocial.
 GrantM 27 Aug 2017
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

As noted above, 'non-educated delinquent' is a backronym for the term 'ned' and an attempt to relate antisocial behaviour to level of education. I bet the Bullingdon Club create more damage on a night out though.
 kwoods 27 Aug 2017
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

Worst I ever had was picking up a glass bottle, out of which poured musty liquified human shit. Felt totally 'invaded', as I hadnt expected it! Love the place to bits but my god the wildlife would take some beating.

On topic, massive respect Niall, sounds like Requiem was a total mission.
Dusty Blitz 04 Oct 2017

Aye the middle classes eh.
 Andy Moles 04 Oct 2017

Great article.

Not 'strictly newsworthy'? What are the 'strict' rules regarding newsworthiness? I suggest they are amended, so we can read more like this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...