UKC

Will St T back down?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 25 Aug 2017
Hardly anyone seems to agree with her now.....risks a £3 billion UK export business, and her dodgy stats exposed as a massive sham. Real pressures are building from desperate needs: to open space to fill economic skill gaps using professional immigration and to boost Uni incomes as home student numbers are down.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/25/george-osborne-urges-tory-m...
 The Lemming 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

The 40 year Tory Civil War is the gift, that just keeps giving.
 Rob Exile Ward 25 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

The gift that keeps on taking, I think you'll find. It's certainly not a gift that Corbyn has deigned to accept.
 Stone Idle 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

It's the Guardian. You can't believe it
OP Offwidth 29 Aug 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

I forgot to attach the report on the statistics authority concerns.

https://www.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/publication/the-quality-of-long-term...
 Tyler 29 Aug 2017
In reply to Stone Idle:
> It's the Guardian. You can't believe it

It's always worth being a bit circumspect about stories like this but I'd be interested to know what but can't be believed. That Osbourne wrote the article, that the student over stayers figures were actually less than 5000 or something else?
Post edited at 15:19
OP Offwidth 29 Aug 2017
In reply to Tyler:
Just ignore him, he's being a lame idiot; I miss Simon4 and proper quality of attack rhetoric. I agree the Grauniad can be political but this story was in all the major papers.

This matter of the number of overstaying international students is one of the most scandalous over-estimates I can think of in any government of any party and its consequencies are doing real damage to the economy and the University sector.
Post edited at 16:49
Lusk 29 Aug 2017
In reply to Offwidth:
> I miss Simon4 and proper quality of attack rhetoric.

The man was a genius, a sad sad loss.

Re: thread ...
She's either got the biggest balls in political history or she's so mentally deficient that she's completely oblivious of the position she's in. They'll be dragging on her finger nails out of No: 10's carpet and the paving stones of Downing Street.
The really disturbing thing is, who on Earth will replace her? Or is that why she's still PM?

Anyways, the sorry circus resumes next week or so ...
Post edited at 17:52
 Yanis Nayu 29 Aug 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> The man was a genius, a sad sad loss.

> Re: thread ...

> She's either got the biggest balls in political history or she's so mentally deficient that she's completely oblivious of the position she's in.

I think the evidence suggests the latter.

They'll be dragging on her finger nails out of No: 10's carpet and the paving stones of Downing Street.

> The really disturbing thing is, who on Earth will replace her? Or is that why she's still PM?

> Anyways, the sorry circus resumes next week or so ...

pasbury 30 Aug 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> The really disturbing thing is, who on Earth will replace her? Or is that why she's still PM?

Hopefully it will be Jacob Ress-Mogg, allowing the Tory party to achieve it's long deferred aim of disappearing up it's own fundament.
 GrahamD 30 Aug 2017
In reply to pasbury:

> Hopefully it will be Jacob Ress-Mogg, allowing the Tory party to achieve it's long deferred aim of disappearing up it's own fundament.

That isn't going to help anyone, really. What we actually need is two, ideally three, credible governments alternatives rather than none. Of course any credible leader wouldn't really want to touch the brexit toxic mess with a barge pole. Being in government right now is pretty much a no win position.
pasbury 30 Aug 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

> That isn't going to help anyone, really. What we actually need is two, ideally three, credible governments alternatives rather than none. Of course any credible leader wouldn't really want to touch the brexit toxic mess with a barge pole. Being in government right now is pretty much a no win position.

I agree, but choosing a Tory party leader right now is like being in a 1970s Russian shop - only 4 mouldy loaves of bread on the shelves.
As for no win - well they bought it on themselves.
 Mick Ward 30 Aug 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> They'll be dragging on her finger nails out of No: 10's carpet and the paving stones of Downing Street.

Would agree. Tragic - for her, for all of us.

'only at nightfall, aethereal rumours
revive for a moment a broken Coriolanus...'

I've always viewed her as the Coriolanus of our time. Hope I'm wrong.

Mick

GrahamD 30 Aug 2017
In reply to pasbury:

> As for no win - well they bought it on themselves.

With a bit of help from the "will of the people", I'd suggest. They are the government that we (collectively) put in place carrying out a brexit mandate that they believe we (collectively) gave them.
pasbury 30 Aug 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

As a bald statement of facts you are correct. It leads to a deeper question of how, really, did we get into this bloody mess.
 Andy Hardy 30 Aug 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:

Whereas Rees-Mogg doesn't need the Coriol preceding his epithet.
 toad 30 Aug 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

> With a bit of help from the "will of the people", I'd suggest. They are the government that we (collectively, but by the slimmest of margins) put in place carrying out a brexit mandate that they believe we (collectively, but only just) gave them.

The problem really is that the will of the people in these two instances is not cut and dried, and this is reflected in the weakness of the government.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...