UKC

Avernus (lleyn) - anyone done it recently?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Planning to get stick into it soon, so if anyone has any helpful suggestions before we start and over and above what's in the database that'd be great.
 Mick Ward 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Frank the Husky:

I've done it - but not recently (mid 1990s with Andy Newton and a very young Will Perrin). It's... interesting - and you know what that means! Technically very easy but rather unnerving. A very good description in the Paul Williams composite. Rightly Paul points out that wetness 'greatly enhances the difficulties' (just love 'enhances', don't you?) Seriously, wouldn't go on it unless bone dry (thankfully it was when we did it). Re route finding, I remember there was a very tempting blind alley at one point (pitch four or five?) You really wouldn't want to go up it. Perhaps Paul's final words say it all, '... then descend the incline to collapse in your car!'

A great experience. Everyone should do it.

Mick
 Mick Ward 25 Aug 2017

'Re route finding, I remember there was a very tempting blind alley at one point (pitch four or five?) You really wouldn't want to go up it.'

Maybe pitch seven. Sorry, it's hard to remember.

Mick
 ebdon 25 Aug 2017
In reply
I found the discription in the ground up guide to be fine i also found it a lot scarier and more committing then i expected! (I was a low e leader at the time) the climbing is easy enough but some pitches consist pretty much entirely of grass, in fact i think there's more greenery than rock.
In reply to ebdon:

Thanks. Thought as much. I have suitable "weapons" that might or might not help reduce the fear.
 Tim Sparrow 27 Aug 2017
The honeysuckle slab pitch; go up the honeysuckle slab! There is apparently a crack under it all. We went up / right, little gear, much harder, serious.
Best adventure of last year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...