UKC

Multiple boots for alpine trip ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
vberg 27 Aug 2017
We're about to spend a week in Italy near Gran Paradiso / eventually climbing it as well.

For GP we'll have our Sportiva B3 boots but the question is, should we carry a lighter set for smaller climbs?

How other people sort out footwear for a situation like this? Multiple boot sets are pretty heavy and we'll be flying to Italy then travel by train so just wondering if anyone has similar experience ?
 Smythson 27 Aug 2017
In reply to vberg:

I was up there a couple of months ago. I went with b3's and trainers. I've given up on approach shoes - too heavy and not comfortable enough. I used Nike Zoom Wildhorse 3's - light, dry fast and awesome traction. If you're looking for something similar check out the trainer choices for the pct and the like, some serious trainer geekery there!

Safe travels,

S
 jonnie3430 27 Aug 2017
In reply to vberg:

Light B1's for all. Do you need B3's for your route on GP?
vberg 27 Aug 2017
In reply to Smythson:

Would you do the same for anything else around in the valley ? Start off with light trainers and just keep the B3 for higher parts ? Sounds like the best weight options, lightweight nikes wont add much to the duffle bags really, another pair of boot would be heavy, even my light TNF ones would weigh much more and would take up a lot space.

Plus, I'd still have the nikes or something else for travel anyways

Altough few years ago been traveling through Switzerland in B2 boots - B2 I'm fine with basically everywhere, even in town.
In reply to vberg:

I've been having great success with crocs as approach shoes recently. They do t weigh anything and when you pop them back on upon return they feel like a dream.
 Smythson 27 Aug 2017
In reply to vberg:

I'd have happily done GP in B2's (Charmoz's, Trango's etc) as with anything else in the valley, the only reason I went in B3's was because I was training for another trip. Trainers will get you quickly from car park or campsite to hut then boots after that as it's not too far until the snow.
 Brass Nipples 27 Aug 2017
In reply to vberg:

B3 is overkill for the route you're planning on GP. Got any B2s , much easier to walk, and suitable for all the none glacier stuff as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...