UKC

Getting an Iranian Visa for UK nationals

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 daviemore 28 Aug 2017
Planning a ski trip to Iran next winter.
Anyone been recently and can give first hand info on getting a visa for UK passport holders?
We have an Iranian guide who will issue an 'Invitation'.
Do we need to go to an Iranian Embassy in person?
Is it worth using an agency to shortcut the queue, or just turn up at the embassy with our invitation number?
Thanks.
In reply to daviemore:

You can get a tourist visa on arrival. They have an office issuing them at the airport. Works for Danes, don't know about Brexiteers
 JR 28 Aug 2017
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:
> You can get a tourist visa on arrival. They have an office issuing them at the airport. Works for Danes, don't know about Brexiteers

You can't if you have a UK Passport.

Complete the visa form first. Take passport photos and cash to pay (can't remember how much).

http://london.mfa.ir/index.aspx?fkeyid=&siteid=234&pageid=33953
Post edited at 14:14
 Mr. Lee 28 Aug 2017
In reply to daviemore:

Been 13 years... but I used Iranianvisa.com. The system used to be that all visa applications needed to be approved by Tehran rather then the local embassy. This meant applications took ages and sometimes didn't get approved. By using an Iranian agent they were able to apply directly to the embassy in Tehran on my behalf. An authorisation code would then get issued and I simply had to turn up at the embassy of my choice to get the visa sticker put in my passport. All very easy and efficient. I didn't need to pay for the visa with this system until it was approved. Maybe somebody can confirm this is still the best system (otherwise here's a bump at least).
 Lloydfletch 28 Aug 2017
In reply to daviemore:

My dad is supposed to be heading to Iran on the 8th of september. He had to go to the embassy in person last week, still not got his passport/visa back. Apparently they've had a huge backlog this year and tour companies are in a bit a panic about it. So he's heard anyway, but it might just be the time of year. It cost £120 I think.
Removed User 28 Aug 2017
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

> You can get a tourist visa on arrival. They have an office issuing them at the airport. Works for Danes, don't know about Brexiteers

Incorrect. UK, USA and Canadian passport holders need to apply via an agency before they go.

OP: There is a very lively and useful FB group called See you in Iran. It would be worth a look, but your agent should be able to inform you of everything.

The Foreign Office has significantly tightened up security since the Daesh attack in Tehran in June.

I can highly recommend someone here for more info: http://persianpursuits.com
 dgbryan 05 Sep 2017
In reply to daviemore:

I can't directly answer your question (Irish & Spanish when we went last Christmas) but I will put in a plug for Hamid Shafraghi, through whom we arranged everything - www.iranclimbingguide.com IIRC. A good egg & very responsive to requests & suggestions.

Our focus was climbing, ice rather than rock, but we travelled with a couple of Swiss AT types. We found it a bit early & warm for the ice, they found either too little or too much snow. Our one day on piste was fun for bumbly skiers.

Damian

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...