UKC

Tapering hopefully

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 28 Aug 2017
I am running my first marathon in three weeks' time.

Today I did the last long training run - 20 miles, in hot sunshine. It was ok ... reasonable time, got through it, had to stop for traffic in a few places and some of the paths were a bit overgrown so it was a bit awkward in places ... but it was ok.

There was, however, no more in the tank.No more miles, no more kms... On race day this may be ok, as it may not be quite so hot, and there will be the adrenalin of the event. So I am happy to go along with my usual mindless optimism ... it will probably be ok. But I would welcome advice on:
1. nutrition in the next three weeks. Just how long beforehand do you eat extra carbs?
2. anything I can do, consistent with tapering and not getting tired, to at least maintain or possibly improve my ability to keep going? I was thinking regular short fast runs in the next couple of weeks, and then a good rest before the race.

All ideas welcome - I have found the advice from this forum to be hugely helpful and encouraging, so you are my Go To Runners xxx

Niblet 28 Aug 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

The only book I read on it said that you gradually taper down to 50% volume the week of the race but keep the intensity up. Carb loading if any a couple of days before the race?
Ferret 28 Aug 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Relax

Your training runs are often tougher than the real thing. Come the day there will be crowds cheering you on. There will be adrenaline. There will be regular water/drink stops so you will probably be better hydrated. You will have tapered and will be doing the run on far fresher legs than you have now.

I've never really done a long training run and felt 'hey that's great... I could add another X miles to that at same pace without crashing and burning....' And I speak as somebody who gets to the end of 6, 7 or 8 hour training runs and then goes on to complete 50 or 100 mile events, or shorter (35 mile), super hilly type stuff....

I'm no expert on tapering as I usually plummet rather than taper - combo of bad timings with other things and a few getting cold/fluey during taper type incidences so I don't have much to offer bar the advice that arriving on the day on fresh rested legs and a clear head beats arriving on tired legs or stressing that the last long run wasn't as strong/fast/easy as hoped.

Start trimming mileage, don't necessarily even push for fast - You will not get fitter during taper so you really just want to keep your head and legs in the game. If you are used to and enjoy running 5 days a week or whatever, keep that up so your routine is the same but reduce distance and intensity. Or cut a session or two. And treat yourself to a good sports massage on Monday or Tuesday of week before event to get the kinks out of your legs. Then a couple of short and gently 20 to 30 minute leg stretches later that week and that's you.
 wbo 28 Aug 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie: I wouldn't do too much with your diet till a day or two before and don't overdo it.
Re. Volume - I dropped from running twice most days to running every other day , inc. a couple of miles at race pace. You can't do much to improve. In the last week, but you can overdo it. So don't!

Re. Going the extra 10k. You'll be rested, water and energy drinks en route, adrenaline and determination. If you can do 20ok in training you're good

steelbru 28 Aug 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Based on someone running regularly and reasonable mileage :-

This week, ie 3 weeks to go drop your volume to 70% of what your average has been last few weeks ( and a long run of about 15 next weekend ).
Next week, ie 2 weeks to go drop to 50% of your average ( and long run of 13 miles 7 days before )
Final week, drop mileage to about 30%

This week and next week when dropping mileage, still stick to same number of days per week, but cut how far you run each day ( rather than keeping distance the same and cutting out days ). Keep intensity the same, don't just do easy recovery miles for every run.
Final week have some rest days and all runs nice and easy.

Diet - just eat sensibly, especially final few days, don't change much ( assuming you are currently eating sensibly !! ).
OP BusyLizzie 28 Aug 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Thank you all! You are all very encouraging (and very impressive too!...)

Yep, got the message about tapering, and it sounds like there is nothing much I need to do about diet. As to "race pace" - all I want to do is to get round. Somebody has to come last, and that somebody will make everyone else feel good about not coming last, so if that somebody is me I shall be very happy, especially if I do actually get round (and I expect I will, one way or another).

Relaxing as instructed...

L
 yorkshireman 28 Aug 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I think the best advice has been given so not much to add. The key thing is that right now you're in peak training and therefore fatigued - when you hit race day at the end of the taper you should be well rested, hydrated and ready to go.

I'm running the CCC on Friday so coming to the end of the taper and its never easy. The restlessness is difficult to deal with but resist the urge to do too much. I heard recently on a running podcast from a coach that its better to go to a race 10% undertrained than 1% overtrained.

Good luck with the marathon.
OP BusyLizzie 28 Aug 2017
In reply to yorkshireman:

Thank you! Enjoy the CCC.
 DancingOnRock 28 Aug 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

If it's your first marathon, then "race pace" will be calculated from other races.

And it'll be wrong.

Don't overthink it. The last few miles will be uncomfortable bit if you've done 20miles the rest just follows on.

The slower you run, the more people you will overtake in the last 6 miles. So for your first marathon run the whole thing at your training pace. Increase you pace at the end if you think you can. If not there will always be another day.

Good luck. Which race is it?
OP BusyLizzie 29 Aug 2017
In reply to DancingOnRock:

It's the Rutland Water Marathon on 17 September. I was dithering about a marathon in May (you may recall my thread a few months ago); that one didn't happen but then a friend moved to Rutland, and I looked at the map and thought that lake needs to be run round, and googled a but, and hey presto. I wish I had chosen a rather larger event in which very slow runners will be less conspicuous! My half marathon time in 2 hours 10, but I am expecting the marathon to take me around 5 hours 15 mins.
 DancingOnRock 29 Aug 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Good luck. I did the 'old' Rutland Water marathon that went all the way round. I think this one goes halfway round and comes back on itself. My Dad lives in Rutland and I've done the lake a few times, it's 16miles without the peninsula.

It's quite, surprisingly for a lake run, hilly and there will be all kinds of runners going at all kinds of speeds, you should enjoy it, although it might be lonely at times, it's unlikely that you'll be last.

Good luck.
Ste Brom 29 Aug 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I'm tapering for this weekend, so I feel your pain.

I tend to keep the diet normal, until two days before, the main bulk being two days before (PASTAPASTAPASTA). Recently I've been chugging down the beetroot juice. I don't know if it helps, so it may be psychological. Which still makes it a help. Unless I shart myself, mid race. It'd look like a colour run.

If you've a strategy for race nutrition, that can only help too.

A few blocks of MP runs for 1 or 2 KM on the week to address the maranoia, and to remind yourself of race pace feel are always a good idea, dont get carried away though.

So, really, nothing what you're not doing already.
G'luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...