UKC

Organic bouldering mats - best combo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Looking at getting a set of new bouldering mats and the organic ones seem great.

Questions is, which combination is best? (carrying, binding together etc etc)

Any help appreciated
 HeMa 29 Aug 2017
In reply to BlakeyDerbyshire:

Depends on what ya need them for...

I think carry wise, I think Full Pad w/ flap and Half pad is the best.

That said, with the Load Flap, Big Pad and something else (even the Full Pad) will offer more surface area to land, but a tad more fiddly to strap together and heavier.

I currently use the Big Pad and strap a smaller pad on with the load flap... seems to work out ok.

Good answer my HeMa, in many ways better than what I've got to offer.

I tend to use the Blubber Pad alongside my Big Pad, but in using the latter I've tended to carry fewer pads, simply because it's so bloody heavy. Back when I was using a combination of the DMM Highball + Dyno I was out with two, if not three, pads almost all the time - now that's quite a rare occurrence.

That said, maybe I just need to get my systems sorted out. I'd be interested to hear what others suggest.
 HeMa 29 Aug 2017
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> That said, maybe I just need to get my systems sorted out. I'd be interested to hear what others suggest.

Well, I'm planning on a Snap to complement the Big Pad and 2 small Ocuns. I have different options. Big Pad + Snap is going to be a beast to lug around. But perfect is going solo and planning on climbing something higher that also wonders around a bit (perhaps add a blubber pad to the mix as well). Snap + small Ocun is lighter and nicer if going for straight highballs that might traverse a bit low down. Ocun is perfect for going fast & light (say a easy "hard" circuit) and 2 can easily be strapped together as one baggage for flying. And if a lot of people are going, then simply the Big Pad.

As stated, the Organic load flap works, but is a tad fiddly (plus I would have organised the attachment points a bit differently... might in fact do so, since I do have access to an industrial sewing machine). And coupled with a normal or bigger pad, the rig is darn heavy (add a toddler on yer shoulders & toys, and it's a proper slog). But with a small pad, it is still something you can work with, provided the approach is less than 45 mins (naturally prefer shorter... is an next to the car).

For the record, the small Ocuns I have, are the BergFreunde -edition Ocuns... perfect for sleeping on, and to protect low traverses or lower problems on their own... and easily transported (plus as with the Big Pad, I might sew a few additional attachments to easily strap them together).

Appreciate all the input above, anyone else got a contribution/something else to think about?
 BAdhoc 30 Aug 2017
I use the full pad w/flap combo's with a briefcase pad with a snap sit start. That plus a small bag with shoes etc all fits together nicely.

The organic shoulder straps and waistband is what swayed it for me, makes carrying everything a lot easier! So much more comfortable than other pads I've had.
 UKB Shark 30 Aug 2017
In reply to BAdhoc:

> The organic shoulder straps and waistband is what swayed it for me, makes carrying everything a lot easier! So much more comfortable than other pads I've had.

Waist belts should be standard on large pads. Pleased to see the larger Moon pads (Saturn and Warrior) now all have waist belts
 BAdhoc 30 Aug 2017
In reply to ukb & bmc shark:

Sorry I should have been more specific it has a better waist band. I have a moon pad too, unfortunately the shoulder attachment points are way too high for me compared to the waistband. The pad also seems to sit a lot lower on the harness. This means that scrambling over rocks etc the pad catches more easily and it makes my back ache. Good pad, I'm just too small for it!

Organic, on the lower shoulder setting, is spot however- well worth the money for me.
 Fishmate 30 Aug 2017
In reply to ukb & bmc shark:

Just added a Saturn to the Warrior and the waistband is definitely useful on the larger pads, perhaps 150cm+ ?

Along with the waistbands they've added reinforcement on the edges and rubber strips on the underside. The Saturn does feel big to carry (I'm 176cm / 5' 10 ish) but given how useful I've found it, it is definitely worth the investment).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...