UKC

Greetings...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 29 Aug 2017
...from Chamonix to all you UKC nobs from the old fart.
Good to be back in the big mountains.
Currently enjoying a beer!
 Doug 29 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> Currently enjoying a beer!

Me too but in the Ecrins
Have a good walk
OP mypyrex 29 Aug 2017
In reply to Doug:

Thanks, have a good one!
Lusk 29 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Greetings Old Fart!

(envious of Manchester)
 David55 29 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Many thanks for the greetings. I am told the weather in the Chamonix area is about to turn bad, so you may need to drink lots of beer. As for me I am in Bolton, no big mountains but I shall soon have some beer.

Cheers!
OP mypyrex 29 Aug 2017
In reply to David55:

> Many thanks for the greetings. I am told the weather in the Chamonix area is about to turn bad, so you may need to drink lots of beer. As for me I am in Bolton, no big mountains but I shall soon have some beer.

> Cheers!

Thanks for that not. Bad for how long?
 robert-hutton 29 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Have a good time and enjoy every step with the company of stunning mountains.
 bearman68 29 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Weeks on end. Terrible rain, and howling gales, with low cloud. But warm.
 bouldery bits 29 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Have a good one mate!
 Ramblin dave 29 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Since it's presumably costing you about as much as a new Ferrari, I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Have a good trip!
OP mypyrex 29 Aug 2017
Which sad tosspots gave my op dislikes?
 doz 29 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Have fun & keep us posted on conditions - still contemplating a late season hit....
Lusk 29 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> Which sad tosspots gave my op dislikes?

Who gives a f*ck?!
They're just jealous.
OP mypyrex 30 Aug 2017
In reply to David55:

> Many thanks for the greetings. I am told the weather in the Chamonix area is about to turn bad, so you may need to drink lots of beer. As for me I am in Bolton, no big mountains but I shall soon have some beer.

> Cheers!

I thought you were on a wind up but I've just arrived at Nant Borrant to be told that is indeed the case with the Refuge Mottets advising people not to make the crossing. Snow as well. Curses
 Trangia 30 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Greetings from another old fart about to set off on the Cotswold Way - part of my increasing interest on UK long distance walks. I can't remember if you are doing the Haute Route or TDMB? Enjoy, whichever!
 Cheese Monkey 30 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Binned all alpine plans until the weekend at least personally. Gone to some nice Italian lake
 birdie num num 30 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Mrs Num Num is on a welding job for the Montenvers Railway at the moment. Maybe you could link up for a shag?
 Tom Valentine 31 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

There is a faction on UKC who will dislike you however innocuous your posts.
This became pretty obvious to me when you criticised the young couple walking around Cwm Idwal with a babe in arms.
At least one user has since admitted that that's how he uses the Like button; it doesn't matter what you say, it's who you are.
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> There is a faction on UKC who will dislike you however innocuous your posts.

> This became pretty obvious to me when you criticised the young couple walking around Cwm Idwal with a babe in arms.

> At least one user has since admitted that that's how he uses the Like button; it doesn't matter what you say, it's who you are.

And another thing is any mention of likes/dislike will get a dislike. Joke/bloody mindedness you decide.
 jon 02 Sep 2017
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Reckon Pyrex'll have a few folk jogging past him today. And tomorrow.
OP mypyrex 02 Sep 2017
Weather continues atrocious in the mountains. Col De la Seigne snowed up with accompanying Lowe level wind and rain. Sadly felt not up to doing it - no views - nothing to avheive. Direct to Courmayeur by baggage transfer bus
 jon 02 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

So are you doing half of it? On the plus side, the mountains will look nice with a fresh coat of paint instead of grey and miserable.
In reply to jon:

> So are you doing half of it? On the plus side, the mountains will look nice with a fresh coat of paint instead of grey and miserable.

Why do you say 'fresh coat of paint'? It's a horribly inappropriate metaphor.
 jon 02 Sep 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

For god's sake Gordon. What's wrong with you? I give up.
In reply to jon:

I hope nothing's wrong with me. As a writer, I have to be so careful every day with the use of words. I'm simply expressing a dislike of what seems to me to be a bad metaphor, with seriously wrong connotations. That's all.
 John Ww 02 Sep 2017

Go on then, enlighten us - what's the issue, because I'm baffled!

JW
In reply to jon:

Just to help a bit. Paint is something that's designed to set to dry and is typically very/quite hard to remove. It's typically used to cover over, hide something nasty/less good rather permanently.
In reply to jon:
One just has to be so careful with language, particularly with metaphors, to avoid saying things that you might not really agree with at all.

I.e. I don't really believe you mean that.
Post edited at 17:58
 marsbar 02 Sep 2017

I had no idea what you meant either if that helps. Interesting how we all think in different ways and yet never realise.
 marsbar 02 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Hope you can find some sort of positive from the trip.
 pneame 02 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Bummer - but the forecast doesn't look THAT bad - afternoon thunderstorms and partly cloudy. But the ambitious itinerary may have to be shelved. On the positive side, iffy weather is the time to get the best photos, as opposed to the same pictures that everyone else has.

I've always found the paint around the chamonix area quite useful for navigating.... not so useful that I'd carry some myself, mind
 Mark Edwards 02 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Greetings, People of Earth, your attention, please.
This is Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz of the Galactic Hyperspace Planning Council. As you will no doubt be aware, the plans for development of the outlying regions of the Galaxy require the building of a hyperspatial express route through your star system. And regrettably, your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition.
The process will take slightly less than two of your Earth minutes.
Thank you.
Lusk 02 Sep 2017
In reply to Mark Edwards:

> .... regrettably, your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition.

Can't you just paint it, please?
OP mypyrex 02 Sep 2017
In reply to marsbar:

> Hope you can find some sort of positive from the trip.

Indeed. As I mentioned before this is my first big mountain trek since before chemo three years ago so I had unknown factors to contend with. Overall, although having had inclement weather to contend with I have got on with it. I am pleasantly surprised at how well I am coping with carrying a 20lb sack again after four years.
 marsbar 02 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Great news.
 abr1966 02 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Greetings from Dinan in Brittany.....I'm on a cycle your and currently sat out in a bar drinking good wine and eating mussels! Enjoy Cham!
 jon 03 Sep 2017

> As a writer, I have to be so careful every day with the use of words.

> Just to help a bit. Paint is something that's designed to set to dry

> One just has to be so careful with language, particularly with metaphors

Come on Gordon, I'm sure you could be a bit more pompous and condescending if you tried really hard...
In reply to jon:

Sorry, I'd had some vino (big celebration party here), but I thought I made a valid point. Anyhow, you'll be glad to hear I'm pissing off again because I find it quite impossible to have a nice or interesting discussion here. It seems everything has to be twisted round and a fight develops in seconds. Perhaps I can carry on talking to you in a real pub some day ??
 Rob Exile Ward 03 Sep 2017

As a matter of fact I think you are quite correct, 'a new coat of paint' is a poor metaphor for new snow.

However, this is an internet forum, not an editorial conference; so perhaps your post could have been a little more light hearted and jokey?

AS in 'Jon, that's a really cr*p metaphor, so wrong on so many levels!! Please don't give up your day job, best leave writing to us professionals ...' with a little at the end.

You really don't want to paint yourself into a corner(!) do you? Beginning to sound like you're the only one who's marching in step...
 Rob Exile Ward 03 Sep 2017
In reply to jon:

'So are you doing half of it? ' When we did it some professionally guided parties were being bussed at least one stage - they were told 'because it's boring', - it wasn't - it was so they could compete the trip in a shorter time and guide more clients.

Always thought that was a bit dodgy myself.
 pneame 03 Sep 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Well I'm glad mypyrex's thread is back on topic!

I was beginning to think of this
youtube.com/watch?v=T9MAmWnOznI&

The weather looks fairly decent today - https://www.chamoniarde.com/en/mountain-topics/mountain-conditions#
Lusk 03 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
> Indeed. As I mentioned before this is my first big mountain trek since before chemo three years ago so I had unknown factors to contend with. Overall, although having had inclement weather to contend with I have got on with it. I am pleasantly surprised at how well I am coping with carrying a 20lb sack again after four years.

Good stuff

Re 20lbs: What are you carrying?
Post edited at 15:27
 jon 03 Sep 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

The reason some guided trips use transport for some parts of it is so that'll fit into 6 days to maximise clients' holidays. I agree, none of it's boring. In fact if people find it boring maybe they shuld take up some other hobby...
Lusk 03 Sep 2017
In reply to pneame:

It looks like a belting afternoon/early evening ...
http://www.courmayeur-montblanc.com/?q=webcam&language=en
 pneame 03 Sep 2017
In reply to Lusk:

Ooh, nice. Not seen those webcams before
OP mypyrex 04 Sep 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> Good stuff

> Re 20lbs: What are you carrying?

It might not be the contents so much as the sack itself. Probably not what o e would consider lightweight. But I'm coping and not really finding it a problem.
OP mypyrex 04 Sep 2017
In reply to all: Just checked in to the Rifugio Bonatti. Very civilised. Must be one of the more luxurious refuges.
Lusk 04 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> Just checked in to the Rifugio Bonatti. Very civilised. Must be one of the more luxurious refuges.

At twenty to three in the afternoon?
You could get another four or five hours walking in!
OP mypyrex 06 Sep 2017
Yiddle-ee-diddle-ee-yodel-ee
OP mypyrex 06 Sep 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> At twenty to three in the afternoon?

> You could get another four or five hours walking in!

I was a day in hand so I gave myself two easier stages instead of a longer one.
Lusk 06 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> Yiddle-ee-diddle-ee-yodel-ee

Fondue for tea tonight?
No thanks.

> I was a day in hand so I gave myself two easier stages instead of a longer one.

Fair enough. I'd have probably taken a whole day off and mooched around somewhere, annoying the locals.
OP mypyrex 09 Sep 2017
En route Trient to Tre Le Champ. Wet.
 jon 09 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Well done Pyrex, nearly there!
OP mypyrex 09 Sep 2017
In reply to jon:

> Well done Pyrex, nearly there!

Thanks, except that the forecast is not brilliant for the next few days and I'd wanted to finish on a high!
OP mypyrex 11 Sep 2017
Back in Cham!
 Ianto Bach 11 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Great to hear - hope you had a good trip overall.
OP mypyrex 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Ianto Bach:

Overall good, despite a fair bit of poor weather. I have been wondering the last few days what I've forgotten to pack in my sack - it feels so much lighter.
Also, after the first couple of days no aches or pains
OP mypyrex 11 Sep 2017
In reply to birdie num num:

> Mrs Num Num is on a welding job for the Montenvers Railway at the moment. Maybe you could link up for a shag?

Off up there tomorrow. After two weeks of celibacy anything goes...
OP mypyrex 12 Sep 2017
Had my first DECENT shower since Courmayeur
OP mypyrex 12 Sep 2017
Burrrrrrppppppp
OP mypyrex 12 Sep 2017
Off to seek out Mrs Num Num tomorrow
 FactorXXX 12 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Off to seek out Mrs Num Num tomorrow

God bless her and all that sail in her...
OP mypyrex 12 Sep 2017
Seriously, I've enjoyed the last couple of weeks and all you nobs that "disliked" my op can #*_@ off. I have met far better people on this trek than you will ever be. So don't even waste your time or energy by "disliking" It says more about you than it does about me.
 Bobling 12 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> ...from Chamonix to all you UKC nobs from the old fart.

> Good to be back in the big mountains.

Great to read - glad you had a good time!
Lusk 12 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Well done Old farty, and at 71, after serious illness, extra well doneness!
You've inspired me to have a go at it next year.
OP mypyrex 13 Sep 2017
Just rounded off my trip with a walk from Plan L'Aiguille to Montenvers. Sadly no improvement in the weather.
 Tobes 13 Sep 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Off to seek out Mrs Num Num tomorrow

> God bless her and all that sail in her...

That would be sea men eh?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...